Philadelphia Babies
Options

Anyone deliver at abington hospital

Hello :)

Just curious about other mom's experiences delivering at Abington Hospital ?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone deliver at abington hospital

• Options

my complaints are very minimal....I delivered vagnially as I had hoped, with really no threats of c-section. I have a couple minor complaints...1 that the L&D nurses put me on pitocin right away due to my LO's heart decel, which was very short-lived and temporary. it was kind of a "once that happens, you need to get in a bed and get on a pitocin drip to make this labor progress" so, that was a little uncomfortable and upsetting, since I was anti pitocin, and only 2cm at the time. Me and the LO tolerated it just fine though. It was just more painful since i wanted to wait to progress more before my epidural. I had a 20+ hr labor, and pushed for 2.5 hrs and the nurses in L&D were awesome. they really helped me get the job done and were very encouraging (my dr popped in from time to time, and basically caught the baby when he was ready). They never made me feel like things were taking too long or that there was any issues, which was my biggest concern...being pressured into a c-secton...

I wasn't really a fan of the nurses in post partum,they kept changing shifts and I felt like we were starting over every few hours. Plus, they offered to take my baby to the nursery, and didn't bring him back like they said (again, shift change), which got my breastfeeding schedule all out of whack. but if you know to be on top of that, (or hubby is) it won't be a big deal.

• Options
    I delivered by c-section at Abington. I have no complaints. I would deliver there again in a heartbeat. The nurses were all very nice and the NICU was great. I had a nice room and they brought in a cot for DH to sleep on. Dh stayed with me the whole time we were there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't need the NICU, but it is the best in the area, along with Bryn Mawr and Lankinau.  I had 2 babies there, and was very happy with my experiences.  My first was an induction, and my epi didn't work, so that really sucked, and my second I went into labor on my own, but had to wait for every for the anesthesiologist, but once he came it was like heaven!!!  Had a great post partum eperience.  Had the opposite experience of pp who said the nurses didn't bring baby back enough.....both times everytime they as much as squeaked, they brought him back to me to nurse, so finally after being up and down that hallway 3 times in 3 hours in the middle of the night, I just kept DS2in his room with me. 
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing !!! I had a rough experience at grandview and was hoping to find another hospital closeby!
  • Options

Meggs-

Do you mind sharing your experience at Grandview? Did you use Stoneridge OB/GYN by any chance? I'm new to the area and having a tough time deciding on a hospital to deliver child #2.

Many Thanks,

Meredith

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry, just saw your reply to my earlier post!
  • Options

I delivered there in April 08 and will again in Jan 11.  I had a great experience.

I was induced due to high blood pressure and the nurses were very thorough in explaining everything they were doing.  I had a rough labor and they really helped me to keep it together.  I ended up having a c-section after 3.5 hours of pushing and it was all a very smooth process.  I had a great recovery and am looking forward to delivering there again.

ETA: the nurses encouraged me to keep my daughter in my room as much as I was comfortable doing so.  I would put her in the nursery overnight and they would bring her back to me first thing the next morning.  I never even had to ask. They just did it.

• Options
    imageMerryC:

Meggs-

Do you mind sharing your experience at Grandview? Did you use Stoneridge OB/GYN by any chance? I'm new to the area and having a tough time deciding on a hospital to deliver child #2.

Many Thanks,

Meredith

I saw the doctors that go thru Grandview OB/GYN - their doctors are in Quakertown. If you have any questions please send me a PM. I loved all the doctors (there are at least 5 in this practice) except the one I had in the delivery room!!

• Options
    imageAngeNAndy4106:

I delivered there in April 08 and will again in Jan 11.  I had a great experience.

I was induced due to high blood pressure and the nurses were very thorough in explaining everything they were doing.  I had a rough labor and they really helped me to keep it together.  I ended up having a c-section after 3.5 hours of pushing and it was all a very smooth process.  I had a great recovery and am looking forward to delivering there again.

ETA: the nurses encouraged me to keep my daughter in my room as much as I was comfortable doing so.  I would put her in the nursery overnight and they would bring her back to me first thing the next morning.  I never even had to ask. They just did it.

Thanks for sharing! I had a similar experience but I feel like if I had some additional support from the hospital staff I may have been able to avoid a c-section :(

• Options
    They were great.  The only dr I was unhappy with was the resident who acted like my questions annoyed her.  But she was only with me for maybe an hour.  The nurses were wonderful.  And the NICU staff was amazing. 
  • Options
    imagemeggs100:
    imageAngeNAndy4106:

Thanks for sharing! I had a similar experience but I feel like if I had some additional support from the hospital staff I may have been able to avoid a c-section :(

I definitely thought the staff was very supportive of trying as much as possible to have a vaginal delivery.  Once those things weren't helping and my daughter was in distress, only then did they say c-section time. 

I really hope you find the practice/hospital that is right for you and you get the experience you are looking for the next go round!  :)

• Options

Myself and all of my siblings were born at Abington...so I knew this is where I would have my children.

My first child was born there by planned c-section (2009) due to being breech.  I am currently 8 weeks pregnant and will also deliver there again, but unsure if I want to try vaginally or a second c-section.

All of the staff we came into contact with were absolutely wonderful.  I delivered on Friday and left on Tuesday.  I was able to be released on Monday but they offered me an extra day of "relaxation" if I chose before going home, which I did.  My room was extremely large and had plenty of room for family and friends to visit me.  They also have a snack room in OB/GYN wing available to patients and family members.  They have various snacks, premade meals, drinks available at no charge.  The nursery was great and we could come and go as we pleased, or even take the baby at any time.  They have some great people teaching education on various subjects.

Best of luck on your choice...but this is definately my recommendation.

• Options
    imageAngeNAndy4106:
    imagemeggs100:
    imageAngeNAndy4106:

I definitely thought the staff was very supportive of trying as much as possible to have a vaginal delivery.  Once those things weren't helping and my daughter was in distress, only then did they say c-section time. 

I really hope you find the practice/hospital that is right for you and you get the experience you are looking for the next go round!  :)

I pushed for over two hours and the nurse was in the hallway almost the entire time - I think the nurses station was right outside my door. My dad was waiting in the waiting room very impatiently and asked to talk to my mom because he didn't know what was going on. The nurse offered to take my mom's spot while she left the room!! ( My mom was on one side while my husband was on the other). I guess she expected my husband to hold both of my legs???? The doctor came in once - checked - and left without saying a word :(.It just makes me feel depressed when I think about the whole delivery! I'm so glad all of you were nice enough to share your experiences! Thank you!!

• Options
    i do have to say my delivery was a circus...but it was kind of fun -comic releif!. by then modesty was out the window and I had no problems letting people in our room. I had multiple nurses assisting me in my 2.5 hr pushing time. they even got a nurse named Esther, who apparently is known for getting the job done. Esther said to me that we'd have this baby by 6:15, and I delivered at 6:17! she also made me do 4 rounds of pushing each time instead of 3, but told me I could do it. There was a nursing student that I allowed in, -at one point my husband told her to grab a leg and she was like a deer in headlights, since i think she thought she was going to sit and just "observe" for her class. we still joke about it. they also had all sorts of tricks they had me try -some handlebar apparatus to grab on to, pulling on a rolled up sheet, and turning on my side, -all sorts of techniques and positions to help push the baby out. I was very scared of a c-section, and at one point the nurse said, nah, he's too far down for that,....you'll get him out. they also assured me that with my first time, the push time wasn't too long.
  • Options
    I delivered at Abington two weeks ago, an unplanned C-Section.  Everyone single person at Abington was great towards me and my baby.  The nurses and doctors were so patient, helpful and caring.  I would definitely recommend it.
  • Options

I delivered at Abington a year ago and it was great. My L&D nurse was amazing. DD had to stay in the NICU for 2 weeks and everyone on staff there was phenomenal. I got daily phone calls from the doctor and the nurses were always so nice and helpful. I don't think I could have made it those 2 weeks without them and their encouragement.

I loved the hospital and if there is a #4 in my future, I will most definitely be delivering there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"