April 2011 Moms
Options

The great crib bumper debate! (clicky)

I've always heard that plush bumpers are a big fat no if you want to help reduce the risk of SIDS. The research I've seen online shows something like 20 deaths in 20 years due to cloth bumpers. Not a huge percentage, but why risk it? Then I came across breathable bumpers. They seems to get good reviews. I've seen a few people on The Bump say they aren't safe either, but after lots of googling I couldn't find anything to back that up. What are you using in your LO's crib?

[Poll]

Re: The great crib bumper debate! (clicky)

• Options
    We'll have a bumper, but I haven't decided which we'll get yet, so I voted undecided.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    In fairness, I haven't looked at breathable bumpers, but I have to say that, I don't want anything. I feel like, why risk it at all? It just doesn't seem necessary, even if it's only a tiny risk.
    Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Theres more to bumpers then the SIDs scare,  if they become lose the baby can tangle themselves in them and who know what can happen with that. 

I choose not to use them, I understand people use them when they have LOs that move a lot durning their sleeping time and it helps protect from bumping their head in the bars.

I think in the end its a personal choice for you to make.

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We loooooove our breathable bumpers!!  Best purchase ever!

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• Options

We have a breathable bumper.  Trust me, after the first time I saw my son's face smashed up against it I was so glad they weren't the thick ones.

The bumpers later on were primarily to keep him from getting his arms and legs stuck in the slats.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My much younger brother got caught in the crib rungs when he was a baby, so I really want something there. (He was fine, but the poor thing. My mom cried for three hours afterwards.)

We're going with the breathable bumpers. I feel like it's the best of both worlds.

• Options
    Our set last time came with a traditional bumper.  We used it in the beginning when baby couldn't roll or move yet.  Then we took it out once he learned to roll around.  I think they say you can put it back in once they're big enough to be able to push themselves away from the bumper.  We just never ended up putting ours back in. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have a bumper, but didn't use it with ds.  He was not at all mobile until like 6-7 months (which is really late to not even scoot around in a crib) and we thought it would have been safe to use it until that point (but we were too lazy to put it on).
  • Options

imageelle80:
    Our set last time came with a traditional bumper.  We used it in the beginning when baby couldn't roll or move yet.  Then we took it out once he learned to roll around.  I think they say you can put it back in once they're big enough to be able to push themselves away from the bumper.  

This is what we did too.  We did put the bumper in again more recently b/c he was reaching through and getting stuck. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We'll use a breathable bumper, but remove it when DC is able to stand in the crib.  Otherwise, they use them to climb out of the crib.
    Expecting our 3rd little girl this New Year's!

• Options

I work in child welfare and see "SIDS" like cases all the time (which is politcally correct now SUDS, sudden unexplained death syndrome).  The diganosis is rarely made by the medical examiner's office because if the sleeping arrangements were the slightest bit dangerous, they while instead diagnose "positional asphyxiation".  Unsafe equals: cosleeping; having baby on a regular bed with blankets, pillows, etc; or having baby on a pallet made of comforters/blankets/etc, whether on the floor, bed, or in a pack and play.  I have never seen a case where a child died of SIDS (or suspected SIDS) and was in a crib wiht a bumper.  Most often, there is cosleeping.

LO will sleep in our room in a pack and play bassinet next to our bed until she is at least 6 months old.  The bumper/crib issue therefore won't enter her universe until she is that old, and likely able to push things away from her face and roll over - when the risk of SIDS/positional asphyxiation drop dramatically (but aren't eliminated).  I agree with previous posters that I'm more concerned about her getting a limb stuck out of the crib then suffocating on the bumper, given the time line we plan to use.  I haven't rulled out the possibility of a breathable bumper, but would be concerned about baby bumping head and having no protection with those.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageRJHarmon:
    We loooooove our breathable bumpers!!  Best purchase ever!

this!!!!!!

• Options
    Wow, lots of good insight here! Thanks, ladies! I'm surprised by the poll results. I thought for sure there'd be way more people going the "breathable" route.
  • Options
    Have a fluffy bumper for while the baby can't roll around and the 1st 3 mo is when I figure I'll have the nosey nursery inspectors over anyhow to ooh and aah.  Then I'll take it off when the baby can roll:)
  • Options

imagenikkileigh11:
    Have a fluffy bumper for while the baby can't roll around and the 1st 3 mo is when I figure I'll have the nosey nursery inspectors over anyhow to ooh and aah.  Then I'll take it off when the baby can roll:)

This exactly! 

• Options
    We are getting a regular bumper, but I will be leaving it off the crib for the first several months. Same with the quilt that goes with the bedding set.
    BFP #1 5/1/10, missed mc dx 6/4/10 BFP #2 8/5/10, baby boy arrived 4/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I voted for the traditional "fluffy" bumper but really its not that fluffy. I am glad we ended up getting it because DD sleeps with her head right in the corner or the crib..which is fine now that she is older.  We didn't put her in her own room or crib to sleep until 6 months though, when I felt comfortable that she could sit up and roll over both ways if needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"