Parenting after 35

Piranha54

Just saw your reply to my milk post...so we're supposed to drop them from 24 to 16 oz of milk between 12 and 13 months???  Did your pedi say why? Also, I'm sorry you have to have surgery, I hope it's nothing too serious!  Weaning for medical reasons sucks, I just went through it and he wasn't ready so it made it all that much harder...good luck!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Piranha54

• I thought of you when I found out about the surgery the other day!  It does but I'm trying to stay positive and remember we've been really lucky to be able to BF this well and this long, so...but ugh, eh?

When I talked to our pedi, she said you drop the amount because they should really be eating more solids by this time and getting the nutrition there, as well as the fact the milk (and water) is filling and then they don't eat enough solids.  Granted we've only been at this a few days, but 24 oz a day from a cup seems impossible at this point! 

• Well I hope the surgery goes well and that you have a speedy recovery!  I really miss bfing but I don't think Simon really misses it.  I think weaning is harder on us than on babies.

That's great that Ellie is drinking out of a plain cup at least!  What got Simon to drink large volumes of milk from a sippy cup was this:  I chose a cup that he wasn't drinking water/juice out of - the one with the thin straw since he uses the thick straw for juice.  Then when he woke up one morning, thirsty from going all night without drinking, I fed him a dry, salty cracker.  Then I offered him the milk (with a teaspon of strawberry powder) and since he was thirsty  and it tasted better than plain milk he drank the whole 8 oz in less than 5 min!  From then on he was hooked.  I've slowly been putting less and less strawberry Quik in it to try to wean him off that, but at least he's drinking milk and holding the sippy cup by himself, so much easier for me than when I had to feed him the equivalent amount of yogurt!  Yes

• Loading the player...
  • I love it!  I'll have to pick up some salty crackers today, and my brother is a huge strawberry quick fan so maybe I'll "borrow" some from him.  We're starting her on soy per the pedi since I have a true dairy allergy - even if I don't always heed it, so I have to admit, I thought about getting the vanilla soy for her.  She drinks it, but I don't think she's used to drinking large amounts from the cup.  She probably drinks 4-6 oz of water a day, but she nurses that cup throughout the day, I add more ice, etc., so.  

And we were in the same exact situation you were in with the bottle.  She took it so easily from DH, family, me, that we got lazy and around 3-4 months, she would only take a bottle from me.  Go figure. 

• Well not exactly the same, he wouldn't even take a bottle from ME!  Angry  Yeah borrow the strawberry quik cause a little bit will last you forever, I'm down to using 1/2 teaspon per cup now.  Actually the vanilla soy milk is sweet enough, she might just like that.
  • Weeelll, taking a bottle only from me wasn't all that handy!  

LOVE Simon's halloween pic - looks like he's having a ball! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"