Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Time outs

So how does anyone get their LOs to stay in time out? DS1 was good at staying in his chair at first, but once he stopped being scared of it (its a child's sized rocking chair that was mine when I was little) he's always getting down and just running up to me and laughing. I've told him no and put him back in the chair but he just slides right out again. It's really getting frustrating! We started putting him in his crib if he climbs out of the chair, but I don't know if that is even telling him anything... plus its a PITA to carry a flailing child up the stairs. What do you ladies do? Any advice is appreciated.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Time outs

• Options
    I put him in his room and shut the door. It worked at first, but now he just goes to his dresser and takes everything out and throws it on the floor. Little punk. I think I'm going to try to gate off a tiny part of the hall and see if that will work. A friend of a friend says she puts her son inside a tall laundry basket!?!? I have no idea how she gets him to stay in there, DS would have it tipped over and be rolling it around the house in no time! I have also heard of putting them in a pack and play or a play yard so it's different from their crib. Especially since you don't want them to see their cribs as a negative.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The one time I've done it, I put him in his high chair, because that was the one place I could think of to strap him in.  I've heard of people that say they sit LO on the couch, and that would last about a milisecond in our house.  I'll be interested to see what other people do.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    At this age timeouts are pointless.  The kids don't necessarily understand why they're in the corner.  They may make the association that if they do "x" then they go to the corner but that doesn't mean they fully understand the meaning behind it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I put him in the crib or pack and play.

• Options

imagedragon_chica:
    At this age timeouts are pointless.  The kids don't necessarily understand why they're in the corner.  They may make the association that if they do "x" then they go to the corner but that doesn't mean they fully understand the meaning behind it.

I tend to agree with this. We try to either ignore/redirect, or use natural consequences, i.e. if you throw your toy at me, you lose it for a while.

• Options
    omg. Just cracked up laughing about putting LO in laundry basket. That's just too funny. I couldnt ever do that one
  • Options
    I haven't tried time out on DS yet, but I've heard that sometimes you have to sit with them and physically hold them in time out until they understand that they can't move.  I think it's really hard at this age.  Once in a great while I do time out with the 20 month old I sit, and she's just now understanding not to move away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJoannaJes:

imagedragon_chica:

I tend to agree with this. We try to either ignore/redirect, or use natural consequences, i.e. if you throw your toy at me, you lose it for a while.

I agree. We say "no" and redirect. If he tosses something on the floor, it is taken away for a while 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Our TO spot is just a spot on the floor in front of the living room closet door. I kind of do the Super Nanny thing and just put them back in place without saying anything.

Alex doesn't really get TO yet but Will does and he actually caught on pretty quickly to the idea that if he gets up, TO will just last longer, so he stays put. He tends to misbehave when he gets overly hyper and spirals out of control (and starts hitting, or throwing something hard at one of us, etc.), so TO works really well with him; it kind of interrupts the spiral and helps him calm down and listen.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    imageJoannaJes:

Yeah, we do a lot of natural consequences as well. That works well for some things. TO helps when what's needed is to calm down. I do think it really depends on the kid though, especially at this age; with two the same age, we find they respond so differently to the same things.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"