Maryland Babies

Infant Care class at Howard County General Hospital

Has anybody taken the Infant Care class at Howard County General Hospital?  My husband and I are thinking about signing up, but wanted to see if it was worth it.  Thanks! 

Re: Infant Care class at Howard County General Hospital

• I am pretty sure that is where Ragdolls (Lisa) delivered, so she may have taken her classes there...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We took just about every class HCGH had to offer.  Infant care was just okay; but that might have had more to do with the woman who taught ours.  Happiest baby on the block was probably more useful -- but you could probably get as much from just the video.

Hands down the most useful were CPR and labor and delivery.  For labor and delivery try for the weekend long class with Meg.  She was wonderful!!  Also, if you can convince your husband to go to breastfeeding that might be worthwhile.  It was really helpful for me to show DH how important it was -- which was great when we were facing challenges with latching early on.

lovelylittleworld
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • Loading the player...
  • I took the 2 part infant care class.  I thought it was OK for me, but very helpful for my husband who had very little experience/knowldege of  newborns - not that I was any kind of expert, but I knew more than he did.  It was helpful to me too to get experience swaddling and with bathing a baby which I had never done before. 

Ditto Lisa on CPR and BFing classes. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageKathrynMD:

I took the 2 part infant care class.  I thought it was OK for me, but very helpful for my husband who had very little experience/knowldege of  newborns - not that I was any kind of expert, but I knew more than he did.  It was helpful to me too to get experience swaddling and with bathing a baby which I had never done before. 

Ditto Lisa on CPR and BFing classes. 

Ditto all of this.  Also, it was pretty useful to be able to say, "the nurse who taught our infant care class said..." whenever my mom or MIL would tell us we were doing something wrong by swaddling/not putting blankets in the crib/insert any other parenting wisdom from the 1970s.

• I took all the classes there and thought they were useful.  I would also definitely take the Happiest Baby on the Block...found out about that after my son was born and it was a lifesaver!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"