Success after IF
Options

what type of formula?

Ok so we switched from breast to formula.....he wasn't filling up on breast milk and was latched on ALL the time and we were both tired and frustrated....   so now my question is WHICH formula to use?  If you FF how do you choose which one you use?  The hospital was using similac advanced which is what I had samples of at home.  He seemed to do well on it...and I do have some of the singles and concentrated of that left.  My mom bought canister of the babies r us formula that is supposed to be similar to that similac advanced (but i've noticed him spitting up LARGE amounts on this).  I just got a sample can of the enfamil newborn yesterday in the mail....so we opened that one last night...still spitting up but in much smaller amounts. 

so how did you decide what type to use...and is it ok to be trying all these different types or is it hard on them to switch like that?

1 chemical and 1 loss at 9 weeks prior to DS
IVF #1 1/10-transfered 2 blasts- DS born 10/2010

Trying for # 2 since 2012.  2 failed FETS 1 failed IUI.
IUI#2 4/14/14-- BFP !!!!! Beta #1 14dpiui= 45 Beta #2 16dpiui= 80  Beta #3 18dpiui= 88 (chemical pregnancy)
March 2015- Chemical pg

1/25/16- BFP  Beta1 12dpo = 17, Beta 2 14 dpo = 28.. resulted in one beautiful boy born 9/21/16 :)

Now I'm a stay at home loving life and pursuing my love of photography!!!

Re: what type of formula?

• Options
    I'm supplementing again this time due to low supply and have found Enfamil is what works best with my girls when they are small.  No issues with gas or spitting up.  With Stella, I switched to the Costco brand around 4 months old.  I plan to do the same again this time since it saves so much money.  Stella tolerated the Kirkland brand without a problem when I made the switch.  I hope the same holds true with Hadley.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    if he seems to do better with Ready to feed than I would stick with that. Some babies do not do well with powder!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started with Similac Advance, then they got gassy so we switched to Similac Sensitive.  Then they spit up a ton so we did a 50/50 combo of Similac Sensitive and Similac Sensitive RS.  They stayed on that 'til the recall and now they are on Kirkland and do great!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We use Target Brand for Elsie - did with Cora as well.

Cora was a spitter, so we had to use the more gentle version for her.  Lucky for us, Elsie is not a spitter - so we got the regular (read cheaper) for her.

The FDA mandates all formula to be nutritional the same - so store brand is always fine.  The big differences are color and some other fillers.

I know lots of people that switch back and forth between whatever is on sale - with no problems at all.

We don't because I have found that Target brand is always cheaper than national brands, even when they are on sale.

• Options

we supplemented a little with enfamil in the beginning and he did fine.

i just wanted to add that the first three weeks of breastfeeding my LO were INCREDIBLY frustrating--he was a bad latcher so pretty much everything you've described applied to him . . . he nursed all day and it was frustrating and exhausting, and we had to give him pumped breastmilk in a bottle to make sure he got enough food. but  he got the hang of it finally and nursing is quite easy now. i don't mean to sound like i'm trying to talk you out of your decision, you know what's right for you and your baby  may be totally different from mine. i just wanted to share my experience in case you're still open to persisting with nursing, or pumping breastmilk and bottle-feeding him pumped milk. (even if you want to do mostly formula and pump once a day or something to get him a little bit of breastmilk, there would still be a lot of health benefits.)

good luck getting it worked out! i know it's so stressful to worry that your LO isn't getting enough to eat, i hope things get easier soon. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageperry7285:

i just wanted to add that the first three weeks of breastfeeding my LO were INCREDIBLY frustrating--he was a bad latcher so pretty much everything you've described applied to him . . . he nursed all day and it was frustrating and exhausting, and we had to give him pumped breastmilk in a bottle to make sure he got enough food. but  he got the hang of it finally and nursing is quite easy now. i don't mean to sound like i'm trying to talk you out of your decision, you know what's right for you and your baby  may be totally different from mine. i just wanted to share my experience in case you're still open to persisting with nursing, or pumping breastmilk and bottle-feeding him pumped milk. (even if you want to do mostly formula and pump once a day or something to get him a little bit of breastmilk, there would still be a lot of health benefits.)

good luck getting it worked out! i know it's so stressful to worry that your LO isn't getting enough to eat, i hope things get easier soon. 

Just wanted to ditto this in case any of our other new mommies are reading this thread.  This is a super common experience among newborns and new mommies.  Breastfeeding is really difficult in the early days and because it digests so quickly and because breastmilk production naturally slows down in the evening, cluster feeding and being latched "all the time" is very common.  Heck, it's common 24 hours a day as both mom and baby are learning the ropes.  :) Unfortunately, the result of all that nursing is often the assumption that somehow we're not producing enough and we're not giving our LOs what they need. 

For the OP I hope you find a good formula to use.  I know that I've heard that if the baby is used to ready to feed that's the best to stick with.  GL!  And I hope you get some rest soon.  Everything looks better with a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.

• Options
    We gave him Similac Advance because that is what the hospital were feeding him, so we just stuck with it.
    TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
  • Options

I would stick with one.  Babies just spit up a lot.  My baby is still sptting up especially if I put her down too soon after eating.  I BF, but babies just spit up on everything.  All are about the same...my hospital wouldn't give free samples this time.  Last time I did similac advanced and this time I had to supplement for the first week or two and I just did Enfamil from the start.  I may just go with enfamil because of the recent similac recall, but like I said, they are all the same.

• Options
    imageperry7285:

dittot his.  babies are latched on all the time to establish your milk supply. totally normal. 

Check out my blog post.

https://grapemama.blogspot.com/

Even if you gave him 1oz it would be beneficial - not bashing formula moms because I had to supplement with both kiddos, but now I am overproducing.  The first 6 wks are hard, but BFing gets easier.

• Options
    We used Enfamil when Hayden was a NB (they didn't have the enfamil nb yet so just plain enfamil). We also tried the BRU formula and also had loads of spitting on it. Around 2 months, we had to switch to Enfamil AR because the spitting was so bad. Then about 4 months we switched to the Target brand formula (Up and Up) to save $$. He stayed on the Up and UP version of Enfamil AR until he went off of formula at 1 year.
  • Options

ditto this and this!!

what your are describing is normal breastfeeding behavior....I pretty much lived in a robe with a baby attached to the boob for many weeks..it is the way your supply establishes but if you are ready to quit I would stick with a formula that has already worked...just note that formula is a bit harder to digest than BM so you may see more spit up...

also the best advice on these boards I've gotten..never quit on a bad day!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"