Success after IF

Potty Elmo: Annoying or helpful?

We are going to buy a potty chair in the next couple of months to start getting DS used to the idea.  I'm just starting to look into little books or toys to start incorporating the idea of using the potty into everyday things.  The BRU ad has a Potty Elmo that has a sippy cup for Elmo and a potty chair and what I'm assuming is Elmo also talks and sings about how awesome using the potty is.  DS doesn't watch TV so he's never seen Sesame Street or anything, but we do have an Elmo book with a puppet that he is obsessed with so I thought this might be kind of fun for him.  Moms who have PL'ed or who are in the process of doing so- do toys or games or books like this help or not so much? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Potty Elmo: Annoying or helpful?

• DD is 2 and we put her on the potty when we are in there and showed her with her doll. Have not bought a book yet b/c she seemed to be happy w/that. But lately we are on strike so maybe I will have to go that route. She really just got super excited b/c we made it this big happy thing to go and she got something special after she went. If he likes Elmo (even if he doesn't watch SS) then it wouldn't hurt to try it :)

• We saw that toy at TRU yesterday and considered buying it for Hayden for Christmas but decided to wait a while. My brother and his ex tried to start training with my neice at 18 months and it was nothing short of a disaster for them. They were potty training for almost a year. We are going to wait until he is closer to 2 before doing anything related to potty training.

However to answer your question, Hayden pushed the elmo's hand a few times and it sings a song about the potty. It didn't seem too annoying however if he did it a lot, it would probably get that way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it could hurt but I also don't think it's necessary.

We had one of Dylan's favorite stuffed animals "talk" to him about using the potty.  Then on the day we started his rabbit peed (yellow food coloring and water) and pooped (melted hershey bar) in the potty and then got showered with rewards.

We were off to the races.  Dylan was begging to use the potty too.  (he wanted stickers and candy).

I asked if he wanted me to teach him how and he said yes and thus began a week of hard core training.  

He was 19 months.

At that age things are so magical so I do think it's helpful to have a trusted stuffed animal show by example and be available to coach, cheer, read books, sing songs, etc.  It's much more cool than having Mommy or Daddy teaching them.

Personally?  I would have been VERY unhappy having Elmo as our accompanying friend.  He bugs the cr@p outta me.  I liked being able to control what the friend said and did.

But.... we did watch the Potty Training Elmo DVD a few times!

No matter what route you go chances are you'll be SOO over what ever potty songs, books, toys, etc you use in a very short time.  That's just kinda the way it goes. 

GL!!! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • We had the Elmo Potty Training DVD and DD LOVED it.  We watched it numerous times, and I think I might buy it for my nephew for his birthday next year.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"