Toddlers: 24 Months+

If you have moved with a 2 year old, please come in.

DS is still in his crib. I am moving in about a month and I'm wondering if that would be a good time to switch him to a bed.

On one hand I think it would be an easy transition, new house, new bed. But I'm wondering if it might be too much change at once. 

He is a pretty easy going child overall, so I'm not expecting too much of an issue with the move, I just don't want to mess things up for him.

Any advice?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: If you have moved with a 2 year old, please come in.

• We moved when she was 1 month shy of turning 2.  We kept her in the crib. I think it was about 3-4 mos later that we converted her crib to a bed.  

I think this is one of those "only you know your kid" kind of things.  I felt that my daughter wouldn't do well if we switched her to a bed right away so we didn't but I'm sure other kids would handle it fine.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• it was a horrible idea for aidan (and she was almost 3). i thought just like you said - new house! new bed! hurray!!!

and it backfired. she needed that consistency of having her SAME bed in a new room - but - we did put her new bed next to her crib. then let her decide when to move the crib out. she HELPED us move it out and we replaced it with a huge dollhouse.

but she freaked when we didnt set up the crib the first night. bc nothing was the same anymore.

aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't moved, but my initial thought for my DD is that it would be too many changes at once.  If you want to move him, I'd move him now, or wait till he's comfortable in his new room.  We moved DD to a twin over the summer when she climbed out of her pnp.  If the new baby is a girl, new baby will be in DD's room and DD will get a new room.  I think if we had tried to do the big girl bed at the same time it would have been too much.  I think they need some constants.
  • We kept her in her crib 2 months shy of 2 years & we're glad we did. It was something familiar in a new room and I'm sure she did better because of it. 
  • DS was 2 1/2 when we moved. My initial plan was to switch him at the new house.  However, he grew out of his crib 2 months before we moved and I had to switch him then.  It actually worked out for the best.  He had 2 months to get used to his big boy bed and there was not a ton of change when we moved.  The other positive is he LOVES his bed.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • That is what I did. Well, except I was co-sleeping with DS and DD at my old house. When we moved last month I transitioned both of them to a bed and it has been flawless. I really talked up the new house and their new room and their new beds and so by the time move day came they were so excited.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • imageMominator:
    That is what I did. Well, except I was co-sleeping with DS and DD at my old house. When we moved last month I transitioned both of them to a bed and it has been flawless. I really talked up the new house and their new room and their new beds and so by the time move day came they were so excited.

lol we talked it up too - this is why you have to know your kid. it was a GREAT idea... until it happened. then she was like um no. LOL

aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• We moved about 6 weeks after he turned 2.  We didn't just move to a new house - we moved from NC to CT.  We kept him in the crib because the move combined with new baby seemed like A LOT of change to throw at him all at once.  We know someone who also just moved here from NC with a 2 year old and they made the switch with the move and it is not going well - at all.  I don't think their daughter has napped in the 3 weeks they have been here.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • When DD was 19 months and the babies were 11 days old, we moves.  She was younger, but even if she were older I wouldn't have changed it up.  At best when setting up her new room, I might have put new bed in there with the crib.  And then at that age tell her she could choose where to sleep, but no way would I mess with the crib. 

One thing we did that helped was we packed all her stuff and put a blue stipe of painter's tape all around it. We moved those boxes and set up her room while movers were putzing around so her room had all of her old stuff in it and up.  We also skipped her nap so when bedtime came she was wiped and she transitioned like a dream.  I'd be concerned about her waking in a new place and getting up and wandering around scared, not able to find you or worse the door even.  In the crib I can get to her as soon as she first cried.  We didn't have a tear, though.  Good luck.  I think toddlers need some semblance of normal and their lives.  Mine anyway thrive on routine/familiar.  I think taking the crib away without her say when everything else is changing would be tough.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we just did this last week! We took down the crib and just put up the big boy bed in his new big boy room!!!

He has done amazing. No issues what so ever. He adapted super easily.

I was amazed! I was so worried about it and some said to leave him in the crib since it would be hard adjusting to a new room, but honestly, it worked great for us.

I say make a big deal out of his new room and new big boy bed!! He'll love it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We also just moved and thought it was a good time to introduce the big bed but DS is still having a hard time adjusting. He wont nap in his new bed so we have to put him in the crib. I worry the inconsistancy is confusing him at times too. I think introducing the new bed when they are already adjusting to a new house/environment/bedroom/neighborhood is too much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We moved when Jude was a little over 2 (I think like 25.5 months?) and switched to a bed without issue.
  • We just moved this past week and decided to keep DD in her crib for a little longer. I was worried she wouldn't sleep well in the new surroundings but I think having all her familiar stuff around her helped, crib included. She went to sleep with no problems that first night in the new house and has continued to do well. We'll probably transition her to her twin bed in the next few months since number #2 is on the way.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We moved a month ago (DS is 2y3m); I was thinking about doing the same thing but I'm glad we waited and kept him in his crib. I think it eased the transition. Plus it kept him contained. :)

Having said that, we're getting him a big boy bed for Christmas.

Momma to three boys: Henry - 4yo Alex - 18mo Jack - born 2/23/12 at 20w due to ruptured uterus (previa and accreta resulting in hysterectomy) He only lived here on Earth for an hour, but he will live in our hearts forever. m/c #1: sept '09, m/c #2: july '10
  • My daughter just more recently like in the past 2 mnths moved to a big bed... But I had to skip the toddler bed, she started off that time sleeping in a twin bed with me, and now she loves sleeping in her twin bed on her own. Ive tried to move her back to a crib and she kept climbing out, or she freaked out same with a toddler bed.... I think she viewed the mattress as too small for her rough sleeping... shes a flopper. But after a few nights of me laying with her to fall asleep she was great....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker m/c#1: 12-22-09 m/c#2: 5-22-11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"