January 2011 Moms
Options

Halloween w/ LO (poll)

DH and I had a little disagreement. He is all for taking the kid out and getting candy. I said it looks greedy walking around the neighborhood with the kid when the child can not have any. I have no problems going to the neighbors, famly and friends to show off my cutie pie. Curious to see what others think.

[Poll]

Re: Halloween w/ LO (poll)

• Options

I'll bring A into work for halloween next year, because my company does trick or treating and everyone loves seeing everyone's kids growing up.

I will not take A trick or treating in the neighborhood until he's old enough to eat the candy or at least enjoy the experience.  I'm guessing that my 9 month old won't give two hoots about Halloween 2011.  Halloween 2012 will all depend on him.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    i took DD out last year, 5 months old and again tonight 17 months old.  we will let her have a couple of pieces but not all on the same day.  i think its good to start now to get some practice in for when she is older Smile
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I knew you ladies had my back! DH is now sulking on the couch, hehe.
  • Options
    imagecdobry01:

I'll bring A into work for halloween next year, because my company does trick or treating and everyone loves seeing everyone's kids growing up.

I will not take A trick or treating in the neighborhood until he's old enough to eat the candy or at least enjoy the experience.  I'm guessing that my 9 month old won't give two hoots about Halloween 2011.  Halloween 2012 will all depend on him.

This.  I don't like it when people come when its obviously not for the kid- can't eat the candy and won't remember it.  IMO its major AWing your kid for your own sake.... 

• Options
    This is the first year that we have gone trick-or-treating around the neighborhood with the kids.  Our oldest is four and VERY shy and he was not ready to go to strangers houses until this year.  We have always taken them to see friends and family.  We kept our youngest (1yr) in the stroller and did not collect any candy for her (her brothers have donated a few pieces of candy to her).  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I actually had this convo with my mom earlier today. I'm going to dress him up and take photos and to little kids parties, but otherwise, no go. if I want candy, I'll go to the store the day after halloween and buy the candies I actually like :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did not take ds trick or treating last year when he was 8 mo. old. We did take him this year, but only took him to a few houses, he was allowed to have some of the candy. We will take our new LO next year, but only because we will be taking ds around, we won't collect candy for her though.
  • Options
    Aside from our first Halloween where DS was 3 weeks old, we have taken him out every year, mostly just for pictures and to see some neighbors, but yes we did eat alot of the candy ourselves haha
  • Options

I picked SS- neither DH or I really like Halloween very much, so we'll probably go to a fall festival or trunk or treat type thing at church, even next year when LO is really too young for candy. I saw a pic of a mom dressed like a tree with her LO as an owl- it was so cute, I would love to do something like that =)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We took DS last year at 3 mo to just friends and family back in Nebraska and didn't get any candy. This year I took him to the 5 neighbors in our neighborhood that we actually new and they all said make sure you take candy for yourself. We let DS have a couple little packs of M & M's. As far as the TOTing itself, he loved it. He loves people and being outside, so it was a lot of fun. We'll probably wait until he is about 4 to take him around the neighborhood to people we don't know well.
  • Options
    Ugh-this is a pet peeve of mine. If the kid cannot walk and eat candy, they should not be out trick or treating.  I even had one baby sleeping in it's stroller and the parent coming to the door with his bag-the kid was seriously 6 months old-really?
  • Options

SS - I agree with your point about going door to door with a child that is too young to eat the candy anyway, unless you are with a group of older children.

We took DD TOTing every year so far (6 months, 18 months, and 2 1/2 years) - this is the first year she appreciated it.  We go with her cousins, so it's a blast for all of them, and we only go to relatives, friends, and neighbors we know.  Even with that stipulation, she got a bunch of stuff she can't have/ I won't let her have (peanut butter crackers, hard candies, snickers, butterfinger, etc) and I will likely eat that stuff!  I thought it was rude to go to the door and then not take what they are handing out.  Most relatives know I am strict about sweets and gave her things like crayons.  I made her cupcakes and I personally thought that was enough junk food for her, but she has her own little "goody bag" of animal crackers and snacks she can have and she can choose 1 a night for dessert. 

• Options
    Olivia was almost 11 months old last Halloween and her grandpa took her to the neighbors houses, but that's it. This year, she went about 2 streets  and actually got a lot of candy. I'll let her eat a few pieces a day and of course DH and I will eat some too. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I actually had some lady come knock on my door asking for candy and she said, "my daughter is in the car, she's tired" I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say... uh if your daughter is tired you should probably just take her home!
  • Options

DD was 4 months old for her first Halloween and we just took her to my parents, my grandma's and a couple of close friends.

The next year she was 16 months old and we still mainly just took her to friends and family but we did hit a couple of other houses.

IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagecera.rn:
    Ugh-this is a pet peeve of mine. If the kid cannot walk and eat candy, they should not be out trick or treating.  I even had one baby sleeping in it's stroller and the parent coming to the door with his bag-the kid was seriously 6 months old-really?

This.

Last year, I opened the door expecting kids and instead it was a sleeping infant (dressed up) in a stroller and two parents (not dressed up) with a pillow case of candy wanting more. WTF? Go buy your own damn candy. I gave them one piece of the nastiest candy in the bowl.

• Options
    I took DD at 15 months and again yesterday at 27 months.  Instead of letting her eat the candy, I just put it in the candy dishes that are sitting in our family room.  I took her more for the experience than for the candy.  My entire family goes together, so it was about 21 kids with us yesterday.  DD had a blast "tickateeting" with her cousins.

• Options

I laugh because I didn't think I'd take DS TOT'ing this year, but I did! And he collected candy (even if we were the ones holding his basket).

He stayed awake the whole time and we took him up to get the candy, he even walked up to 3 houses holding his daddy's hand. Not bad for a 13 1/2 month old.

He made out like a bandit with candy too. We will let him taste some, like the dark chocolate Hersheys and such, meanwhile we get to eat the rest!

There was a cookout going on in the neighborhood too, so he got to share a sugar cookie with me. It was a blast!

• Options

imageLindseykaz:
    I actually had some lady come knock on my door asking for candy and she said, "my daughter is in the car, she's tired" I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say... uh if your daughter is tired you should probably just take her home!

Wow, that is just ridiculous!

LO should be about 10 months next Halloween, so maybe we'd take her to a few neighbors houses (people we know), but that would probably be it.

image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"