3rd Trimester

World's Strictest Parents

Anyone watching this????

Omg! The girl just shocked the hell out of me! She has two younger siblings that are both autistic, she treats them like crap and never helps her mom out. She was an only child for 11 years so she really resents her siblings, but shes like 17 now. Anyways after reading her letter from her mom she says "It didn't say what I wanted it to say, She didn't even mention she missed me" Then when the mom for the week goes to talk to her she says "I didn't ask to be a big sister, Why should I help at all they aren't MY kids!"

Shes SO selfish. I guess once you reach a certain age nothing your parents do can change you, her poor mom, I bet she tried. 

EDIT: I forgot to add how those crazy dramatic false lashes coated a million times over with mascara make her look like a raccoon and takes away from her natural beauty.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: World's Strictest Parents

• I haven't seen the show, but I know what it is like to be an only child for a long time and have siblings come along and then have the expectation that I am to take care of those siblings.  I had responsibility for bathing, feeding, homework, etc. for both my brother and sister and missed out on a lot of my own childhood as a result.

That being said, I was never so snotty that I refused to do any of those things, but I don't believe parents should have an expectation that older children "raise" the younger ones. Aside from a financial contribution, I did everything including having an infant IN MY BEDROOM and having to get up at night for feedings, etc. when I was 12.  It isn't fair to the child.

Back to this situation...she seems like a selfish little brat and her behavior will really get her nowhere.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • I haven't seen that episode but DH and I watch it all the time..and take notes lol.  We never really thing that most of what the parents do is that strict.  chores GASP, expect honesty and respect GASP, have punishments for bad behavior and follow through double GASP.

It just makes me more intent on being a "strict" parent, I mean my parents expected a lot from us and trusted us til we gave them a reason not to, we had no curfew but had to get good grades, do our chores, pull our weight and in general not be a POS lol.

I think these parents want to be their kids friends and are afraid of their kid "hating" them and let things go too far.  I think you're right it gets to a certain point and if you can't change the rules on them, they've been allowed to run the show for too long.

I am always amazed that most of these kids shape up for the new family when they realize they aren't going to get away with anything.

sorry to ramble, I feel strongly about this kind of stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMonaLS:

That being said, I was never so snotty that I refused to do any of those things, but I don't believe parents should have an expectation that older children "raise" the younger ones. Aside from a financial contribution, I did everything including having an infant IN MY BEDROOM and having to get up at night for feedings, etc. when I was 12.  It isn't fair to the child.

That does seem totally unfair. The thing with this girl is shes not asked to do much, just to be nice, just to be a big sister and love them...and she wont.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCheyenneShaw:
    imageMonaLS:

That does seem totally unfair. The thing with this girl is shes not asked to do much, just to be nice, just to be a big sister and love them...and she wont.

Well that makes her a useless little snot now doesn't it?

imageimage
    imageimage
  • imageMonaLS:

I haven't seen the show, but I know what it is like to be an only child for a long time and have siblings come along and then have the expectation that I am to take care of those siblings.  I had responsibility for bathing, feeding, homework, etc. for both my brother and sister and missed out on a lot of my own childhood as a result.

Back to this situation...she seems like a selfish little brat and her behavior will really get her nowhere.

I agree with you.  I don't think it's fair to expect older siblings to take care of younger ones, just because there's a big age difference.  If they want the teen to babysit occasionally, then fine, but at least pay her like any other babysitter.  All kids, no matter what age, should be allowed to enjoy their childhood or adolescence.  The 19 kids and counting family is guilty of this too.  The older girls are like moms to the younger kids. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNewFamily09:
    imageMonaLS:

I haven't seen the show, but I know what it is like to be an only child for a long time and have siblings come along and then have the expectation that I am to take care of those siblings.  I had responsibility for bathing, feeding, homework, etc. for both my brother and sister and missed out on a lot of my own childhood as a result.

I agree with you.  I don't think it's fair to expect older siblings to take care of younger ones, just because there's a big age difference.  If they want the teen to babysit occasionally, then fine, but at least pay her like any other babysitter.  All kids, no matter what age, should be allowed to enjoy their childhood or adolescence.  The 19 kids and counting family is guilty of this too.  The older girls are like moms to the younger kids. 

I am 15 years older than my little sister and I did share a room with her.  The upside - I am well-versed in middle-of-the-night feedings, diaper changes, baths, and what life's really like with a newborn.  And my sister and I are super, super close.  The downside, of course, is that it's extremely unfair and I feel like I missed out on my last 2 years of high school.

It was sort of like living with the consequences of teen pregnancy without actually making the bad choices that would have gotten me there.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"