Northern California Babies
Options

Is drinking water at bed-time a bad thing?

G really likes to drink water at bed-time.

I KNOW that come potty-training time this will bite us big time, but here's the thing: I drink a ton of water before bed too. Easily 1/2L before I go to sleep. Otherwise I'm not happy, I don't sleep well, and I wake up in the middle of the night thirsty. Now granted, being pregnant means waking up to pee once a night, but pregnancy aside, I sleep fine through the night with no potty trips.

So what do I do? Do I start discouraging G's water drinking at night? I worry, that if he IS like me, he'll be miserable, but I also don't want to give him a complex about wetting the bed later either.

WWYD?

Re: Is drinking water at bed-time a bad thing?

• Options

I don't know, but you drink that much water before bed at 37w and you only have to get up to pee ONCE? Man. Lucky!

And hopefully someone else can be more helpful. :oP

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD always drinks a lot of water before bedtime.  I figure she's thirsty and I'd rather not deprive her of fluids.  I also drink a ton of water throughout the night (easily 24oz), but I'm also up a billion and one times to pee (pregnancy or not).  I guess it is what it is...until we start getting serious about potty training.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My kids both drink a ton of water all day long and only recently has Andrew started cutting back on the nighttime water on his own.  We went with a don't offer don't refuse policy, like you I'm thirsty and crabby if I don't get my water and he is too.  He's been PT'd for over a year and always had a soaking wet diaper in the morning.  Since I've heard that some kids don't PT at night until well into 4-5 I haven't been worried.

Now that he's backed off the water, if he hasn't had much water in the hour or two before bed and he pees then he wakes up dry.  He hates diapers so if he drinks a lot of water we sneak a diaper one after he's asleep and if not then he's diaper free at night.  I think in the last two months we have a handful of wet diapers and only 2-3 wet beds.

• Options
    I can't believe you drink that much water and only pee once. I'm up every freaking hour half and I cut off all liquids two hours before bed. Very jealous!
  • Options
    I think it's fine, unless problems develop later then you can change your habits at that time. Many kids are not dry at night until age 6 anyway, no matter what you do . The neural pathways are just not formed for waking up due to a full bladder. I don't even consider night wetting a problem until then. Like Julie said, generally if they can wake up to go to the bathroom at night, then they can drink whatever they want. We usually only recommend limiting the fluids if they are over six and still can't wake up when they have to go. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"