April 2011 Moms
Options

Buying Used?

I'm now addicted to Craig's list. I know there is a slew of things you "shouldn't" buy used, but the deals are crazy. So, what are you willing to buy that's used? Or, what would you not buy?

Just curious :)

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Buying Used?

• Options

I would not buy a used carseat or a used crib.  Or a used crib mattress, because used mattresses give me the willies.  I would be very cautious before buying anything used that had any fabric on it whatsoever.  Due to unknown people who smoke, have dirty dogs, dirty kids, etc. 

I'm happy to have second hand stuff, but I'd just prefer it be from people we know personally.

Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options

yeah, I know! we live in a large metropolitan area, so there is always a ton of stuff!

In my opinion things you shouldn't buy used: cribs/mattresses and generally car seats - that being said we are going to use an orbit, and these are expensive to begin with, so they generally resale at half price - I know that it shouldn't have been in a car accident, so it probably depends on how well you know the person

I will likely buy used: changing table/dresser... beaba babycook...maybe high quality bedding (I love serena and lily, but they are also expensive to begin with), storage baskets, clothing

I haven't made up my mind: breastpump?? The FDA actually forbids the resale of these, because they aren't closed systems and bacteria can get into the pump that can't be sterilized - but people resale them all the time - I am sure I will end up buying one new just because it grosses me out when i think about it!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP that I wouldn't buy anything that has fabric. Thats just me though and it would give me the heebe jeebies. DH and I like CL for certain things and have found nice 2Step plastic play yard things to potentially buy to keep at my moms house (since we live in an apt). I mean, certain things are big no-no's such as breast pumps (gag), car seats, mattress', etc but use your own discresion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

• Options
    We've already bought an arm's reach co-sleeper, the stroller frame for a graco carseat, the swing frame for a graco carseat, and a baby bjorn carrier. I've also been scoping out some used diaper covers.  I will only use new CDs (actual prefolds or inserts) and new mattress, just for the ick factor.  Same with cribs and car seats, but that's for safety.  We have a great steam-cleaner with one of those high-temp sanitizing wands, so I'm not really afraid of buying stuff from craigslist so long as it will take a hit from the steam wand.  I agree with you, so long as you can get it clean, it's just too tough to pass up the deals.   
  • Options
    Craigslist is the best. I've gotten rid of a lot of things on there and I've bought only a few baby things. Once LO is older though forget it. All of our backyard equipment from riding things to our jungle gym are craigslist finds. That place is great for toys!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree on the cloth stuff. And I look right past pillows. Boppy's are expensive, but I'd rather pay $50 new than get bed bugs! Ugh!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Options

imageBBColt78:
    I agree on the cloth stuff. And I look right past pillows. Boppy's are expensive, but I'd rather pay $50 new than get bed bugs! Ugh!

no kidding!  I throw all my clothes in the washer as soon as I get home from the department store with all the stories about bed bugs recently!

• Options

imagenbedard:
    We've already bought an arm's reach co-sleeper, the stroller frame for a graco carseat, the swing frame for a graco carseat, and a baby bjorn carrier. I've also been scoping out some used diaper covers.  I will only use new CDs (actual prefolds or inserts) and new mattress, just for the ick factor.  Same with cribs and car seats, but that's for safety.  We have a great steam-cleaner with one of those high-temp sanitizing wands, so I'm not really afraid of buying stuff from craigslist so long as it will take a hit from the steam wand.  I agree with you, so long as you can get it clean, it's just too tough to pass up the deals.   

Yes, a two hour trip to BRU inspired me to just browse a little on Craig's list.

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Options
    I would never buy anything used for my baby off Craig's List.
  • Options
    I actually just bought a BOB revolution off of CL the other day for just under $200.  The family had only used it to run on a jogging path for 3 months and it had been stored inside. They have a second child now, so they upgraded to a double.  My mom thought it was brand new when I showed her today.  I used to get some great deals on toys and books for our classroom when I worked at a childcare, so I check it out from time to time. 
  • Options

I've been looking for glider rocking chairs on Craig's list.

There's not much more I would buy 2nd hand, but I have 3 friends who have some used stuff (stroller, bouncer, swing etc..) that if I don't get new, they are planning to give me, and I will probably take if need be.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

I would consider a used crib depending on a few things - condition, age, cleanliness of the house it's coming from, instruction manual included, etc. I mean, if someone's selling a 1 year old Stokke crib for a great price, I'd go for it. Would not get a used crib mattress though.

I'll probably get a used dresser and glider. But I have a huge pet peeve about used car seats. If there is one thing to buy new, that is it. I see people selling them on CL for $10 and want to scream!! Also, the idea of a used breast pump freaks me out.

p
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"