Breastfeeding
Options

Difficulty latching one side.... help with engorgement?

My milk came in yesterday and since then latching has been a struggle.  She is great on the right but can't latch at all on the left.  Because of this I've been getting more and more engorged on that side, making it harder to try to get her to latch.  I have just been nursing on the right and then emptying the left with the pump.  It's the only thing I can think of to do.  Any ideas on how do deal with this?

Thank you so much, you ladies are a God sent to a first time breastfeeding mom with very few resources. 

BFP #1 10/2009 Miscarriage #1 at 4w3d BFP #2 02/2010- Our Forever Baby Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Difficulty latching one side.... help with engorgement?

• Options

First choice would be to hand express some milk on that side. Just enough that LO would be able to latch. Or, if you can pump a little off instead if you feel more comfortable doing that.

(don't be intimidated by hand expressing... it's easy, especially when you are that engorged!)

• Options
    imageJulesDiane:

First choice would be to hand express some milk on that side. Just enough that LO would be able to latch. Or, if you can pump a little off instead if you feel more comfortable doing that.

(don't be intimidated by hand expressing... it's easy, especially when you are that engorged!)

This. Same thing happens to me and I pump first.

Though that can be a pain when LO is screaming, so I will also suggest that the football hold makes it much easier for them to latch when you're engorged.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pump both sides then nurse LO on the difficult side (clean slate)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"