December 2010 Moms

talk to me about your FL baby "winter" clothes

I know there are some of us here from FL and I'm wondering, what are you doing for winter clothes? I know it gets pretty dang cold in N. FL but I'm in SWFL. It can get cold here, down in the 30's at night in January and some parts of February. Do you have lots of jackets and long pants for LO? Any heavy jackets? Or are you going with layering blankets when they are outside or in the car, but they'll wear long sleeves and pants, like a sleep & play plus a hat?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: talk to me about your FL baby "winter" clothes

• I'm in SWFL also(Lake Okeechobee) and all I have so far is long sleeves and pants.  I'm also Team Green so I haven't bought too many clothes, just enough to last the first month basically.  I don't plan on any heavy jackets though.  I plan on using blankets and hats when baby is outside in the cold.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedace3699:
    I'm in SWFL also(Lake Okeechobee) and all I have so far is long sleeves and pants.  I'm also Team Green so I haven't bought too many clothes, just enough to last the first month basically.  I don't plan on any heavy jackets though.  I plan on using blankets and hats when baby is outside in the cold.

wow you live by the lake?! I used to drive out to Clewiston pretty often for work. Do you live there? Pahokee? Sorry I'm being nosy, just not very often you find someone from this area on here. I think there's two other girls from SWFL that are due in December on here.

Laura101 - we just installed our car seat base and I was super red-faced and drenched in sweat afterwards...it's too hot out for Halloween!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We're not buying much heavy "winter" stuff at all, but thinking we'll layer him up instead.

We registered for all regular short sleeve t's and onesies because I think the long sleeve ones may get too hot indoors.

I think we got one hoodie at our shower, and I'll probably buy a couple more hoodies or light jackets at Old Navy or Target. I knit him a little hat he can wear, we have tons of blankets and I bought a sleep sack for night time.

I'm hoping that's enough. I hear it should be a mild winter because of La Nina, so I think we'll be ok.

ETA: I agree that it is much too hot here for being almost November. Ever since I hit my third trimester I've been a sweaty beast, and I'm dying for the weather to cool down a bit.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm not FL but LA so we pretty much have the same 'winter weather'

I have onsies and pants a little jackets/sweaters but nothing overwhelming.  If figure if it's too cold we probably won't be going out anywhere and if it's slightly chilly I'd bring a blanket or two.

Laura101- I'm in jeans and a tank top right now. Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I live in Palm Beach and we definitely have been having colder "winters." I have bought some long sleeve onsies and plan to use hats and long pants! I do have some heavier jackets but those were given to me!
  • I don't know about you ladies but I think it got pretty darn cold last winter! I'm hoping for a much milder winter this year! I also think some people have this misconception that because it's florida it doesn't get cold but it does. It's a "bone chilling" cold.
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Yeah, last year was crazy cold.  That had better not happen again.  I'm going with mostly layering and adding blankets for the short amount of time we'll be outside when it's truly cold.  I have a few snuggly sleepers and other one pieces for him, and I think they'll do when it gets chilly.  Most of our onesies are short sleeved, so we'll see if they'll do and go from there.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I live in Orlando, and felt that it was freaking cold last year.... We have some long sleeved oneises, and pants and a few sleep and plays... I dont think we will need anything more than sweat pants and sweat jackets.  If we do, there are always the 100's of blankets that we got :) that he can be suggled up in if we need to go anywhere... but for the most part, im making people come to me... I am not lugging an infant out with the weather is cold...just to his grandma's house and dr. appts.  we have no real other reasons to be out....
  • I bought lots of long sleeved onesies, fleece sweaters, and sweat pants for our regular "winter" days.  However, last winter was ridiculously cold and really has me worried about this year.  My mom bought him a really warm, insulated body suit/jacket from Baby Gap, which will be perfect for outings if it gets really cold.  Otherwise, I just plan on layering.
  • I'm in Tampa and live on the water. We take nightly walks (when I'm allowed to walk) on the water and can't wait to include the baby on these outings. As PPs have mentioned, it got cold last year so we're getting some warmer items.

I have several pants options in the NB and 0-3 size ( jeans, fleece, cotton). I have many sleep and play onesies that are long sleeved. I have a few long sleeved onsies. I have several hats and a few thicker socks. Mr Techie insisted that we needed a snuggler for the carseat/stroller so we got one of those as well for a great price at a consignment shop. I also got two jackets, one heavier and one velour type material. I got the jackets because they were brand new, with tags and on sale for $5.00 each. I'm not convinced that I will need them.

I don't want to layer blankets on if I can help it. The warmer I dress LO, the less I have to worry about keeping his face clear of loose blankets.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just want to say how jealous I am of all of you Southern Mammas.  I live in Minnesota.  The cold temps that you listed would all be considered relatively warm for us in December and January (we usually have at least a week in January where the temperature (before the windchill) doesn't get above -5).

Forget winter clothes, I am so afraid that I am going to become a complete recluse after LO is born, since I won't want to take her outside (-40 windchills are painful on adults, trust me).

• imagepetretti:
    I live in Palm Beach and we definitely have been having colder "winters." I have bought some long sleeve onsies and plan to use hats and long pants! I do have some heavier jackets but those were given to me!

We are in Palm Beach, too, and we are basically doing the same thing. I have a few knit sweaters, socks etc but that's it. Even if it's 45* (yeah, that's cold to us FL people) in the mornings by the time it's 1pm the temp is up to the high 60s to mid 70s. I hate it. I'm originally from NY and this heat SUCKS after awhile.

Laura - DH is from Toronto. I heard it snowed there today! 

DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageLovesMM:

I'm not FL but LA so we pretty much have the same 'winter weather'

I have onsies and pants a little jackets/sweaters but nothing overwhelming.  If figure if it's too cold we probably won't be going out anywhere and if it's slightly chilly I'd bring a blanket or two.

Laura101- I'm in jeans and a tank top right now. Wink

Same here I'm in Southeastern LA, and we have some fleece sleepers, long sleeve onesies and pants and a good amount of little caps.  I'm planning on getting a light jacket/hoodie.  But for the most part we stocked up on blankets.  I figure if it's really cold we can put her in a fleece sleeper, or a little sweat suit (hoodie, pants, and onesie), and wrap her in a blanket.  I don't see it getting cold enough for any additional stuff like snow suits, or big coats.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"