Babies: 0 - 3 Months

If your LO was born early, I have a question for you

My DS was born at 36wks 1 day, and is 6 weeks right now.  I'm wondering if he can be expected to meet the early milestones (smiling, rolling over) on time or if he will be delayed.  I feel like he still acts like a newborn, sleeping most of the day.  Technically he should only be about two weeks old.  What are your experiences?

Re: If your LO was born early, I have a question for you

• My son was born at 37 weeks, 1 day.  He's now a month old...

Technically, the books all say that premature/early babies will 'generally' hit milestones a tad later than babies who were full term.  

That being said, I haven't noticed DS's development any slower than other babies I've known - in fact, even the pedi mentioned that he's doing far better than expected.

HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO wasn't born exceptionally early (38 wks, 3 days) but I've noticed just the opposite, she's hitting her milestones either right on time or very early. Her head control was great early on, she's a great eater (minor reflux), she rolls from back to belly and she STTN 9-10 hrs.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO was born 3 weeks early and I have my WellBaby visit this next week so we will see just how well she is doing.

She can control her head pretty well and sleeps for around 5 hours at a stretch...sometimes 6 or 7 (due to a miracle or stars aligning or something).  She has yet to smile in response to my smile or have a social smile.  She just started showing interest in toys such as rattles, mirrors, etc.

I think every baby is different.  If you are concerned, I would bring it up to you pedi.  They will probably try to hold you off for a few months to see if he catches up but you never know...they may reccomend PT. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD was born 35/5 - doctor told me that if anything she would be about a week late on milestones since 37 weeks is considered full term. Also, by 2 years everyone pretty much catches up with eachother.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Morgan was born at 35.5 weeks and has been a little slow to hit her milestones. In addition to being a preemie I think a lot of it is due to some serious tummy issues which were causing her discomfort, so she was so busy screaming it kind of slowed down her development as far as eye contact, smiling, etc. She's starting to get on track now...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"