Eco-Friendly Family

Vitamins-yes? no? what age?

Do toddlers need a vitamin supplement? Am I totally behind on this? LOL I just thought about it today that I remember always taking a flintstone vitamin when I was a kid but like when did my mom start that and is it necessary? 

Just curious on what you ladies do and what vitamin you recommend. Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Vitamins-yes? no? what age?

• I think that generally neither children nor adults need vitamin supplements. I don't give any to my kids and don't plan to start any time soon unless we discover a deficiency that we cannot address through diet.
    2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA
  • I don't give DD any. I think I would consider if she was an awful eater and would only eat a couple food items.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't give vitamins nor will I. The exception being if DS develops a deficiency that we can't fix. I'm of the opinion that most nutrients can and should be naturally in your diet. Your body has a hard time absorbing what's in vitamins. It's better to get them naturally. That said, if you have a deficiency that you can't address vitamins are a great tool. I sometimes take a protein supplement. I normally do it when I'm being lazy about meal planning since I know I get very, very little protein in my diet.
  • We gave Declan a vit D supplement starting at maybe 15 months. We now do a multivitamin like SmartyPants gummies.

Colin doesn't take anything yet. 

Mama to D 6.16.08 and C 3.11.10
    Tales of the Wife

imageimage
  • My pedi has been having me give my kids liquid vitamins since infancy.  I think they have both been taking them since about 2 weeks old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DS had iron definecy at 9 months - so he was on iron supplements starting then.  at about15 months he got cleared from the doc and but we still have to keep him on a multi containing iron. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I think we started Eli on a multi vitamin around 3 years.  I imagine we'll start that with Evan around 2.  I'm also considering starting additional vit D drops.

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • DS takes one because he's incredibly picky. I can't even get him to eat previously liked foods anymore. We're a work in progress here. DD does not take any vitamins.
  • Unless there's a deficiency, we will not be giving vitamins.

The latest research (fairly extensive from what I've read) shows that there's no noticeable benefit to vitamins or multi-vitamins, and can cause significant damage is you take too much.

My coworker was just diagnosed with a toxic level of vitamin D.  She was getting it from several different sources, AND taking a specific vitamin D supplement.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"