Parenting

Possibly stupid FF questions (8 month old)

DS was breastfed until 21 months.  Loved the boob, willing to nurse anytime, happily would have nursed until he left for college.

DD.... not so much.  She refuses to nurse half the time, and will then gulp down a bottle of EBM or formula.  Since trying to pump to keep up with her makes me crazy, I am tossing around the idea of just letting her transition to formula.

So....   

How frequent of bottles at 8 months? 

Formula makes her super constipated...  what do you do about that?  A low-iron formula maybe?

She is used to nursing a lot at night and seems to want bottles at night, but then she just takes 1 or 2 oz. every couple hours.  Any experience with this when bottle-feeding?

Anything else I should know?  I don't kn ow any of the FF "rules" like how long it can sit out, etc. 

Re: Possibly stupid FF questions (8 month old)

• I had similar experiences with my kids.  DD nursed until I weaned her at 13 mths.  It was a struggle to make it to 9 mths with DS.  He was just not interested, so I switched to formula then.  He took a bottle every 3-4 hours during the day and none at night   We had no issues with constipation.  I would not do low iron until you talk to the pediatrician.  Iron is pretty important in a baby's diet. 

I made the bottles as my son needed them. It was very simple.  I think once you make the bottle and the child drinks from it, it's only good for an hour.  I believe if you premake bottles, they are good for 24 hrs in the fridge.  

We went straight to target's up&up brand and had no issues. I also enjoyed paying half the price of the name brand!  

GL!  I hope I've helped a little bit.  =)

• I weaned #2 at 10 mo and did bottles of 4 oz every 2-3 hours during the day.  She didn't want bigger bottles, think she was used to nursing that often, and it worked for us.  She would only wake up 2x at night and I used to give her 4 oz then and then dropped it to 2 oz each night feeding and then 1 oz.  Did it gradually over several weeks/maybe 2 mo.  Did the 1 oz 2x for a while, b/c it got me extra am sleep.

I wouldn't do a low iron formula without talking with your ped.  Both my girls have always eaten prunes every day to help with constipation.  My 1.5 yo still does. 

• Loading the player...
  • Prunes!  I forgot about that.

Part of it is that it is hard to tell whether she is constipated, or just different from bmilk, which is so runny.  Is it normal to only go every 2-3 days on formula? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"