Trying to Get Pregnant

Periods while pregnant?

Does anyone know anyone who continued to get periods while pregnant? I always hear that on shows like "I didn't know I was pregnant," and my friend's friend got light periods all the way through her pregnancy. I'm trying to decide if I should still test once after AF comes just in case.
GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14

Re: Periods while pregnant?

• I think it's safe to say that if AF comes and your temp drops, you are not KU.  Getting periods during pregnancy is rare.
  • I knew someone at work who had that.  In fact, she didn't know she was pregnant until she got some major pains and went to the ER one night.  We didn't believe her until she let us hear the new baby crying in the background.  See, that Discovery Health channel show really can be true!Wink
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I knew someone at work who had that.  In fact, she didn't know she was pregnant until she got some major pains and went to the ER one night.  We didn't believe her until she let us hear the new baby crying in the background.  See, that Discovery Health channel show really can be true!Wink
  • I see that on that show too. However, I never knew anyone IRL that had their period while pregnant.
  • You can not have a period if you are pregnant. A period is the shedding of the uterine lining, which obviously doesn't happen during pregnancy.

You can have bleeding that is mistaken for your period though.

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• I don't think its common but somehow I know 2 people who have had it.  Neither were on birth control but not charting or anything just whatever happens happens.

The first girl went into the doctor because even though she had - pregnancy tests and periods all of the sudden she got huge.  Well she was 5 months along with twins.

The other girl woke up in the middle of the night with horrible cramps.  Took midol and went back to bed.  Woke up a few hours later even worse.  Went to the hospital and they thought it was her appendix and gave her pain meds.  Then went and did an ultrasound and she was pregnant and in labor! 

BabyName Ticker
  • My MIL had 4 months of "periods" while pregnant with my brother-in-law, which made her tell me I was "probably" KU last cycle. Uhh yeah right lady. I'm sure if you're charting you'll know whether you should bother testing or not.
  • imageiluvmylab:
    I think it's safe to say that if AF comes and your temp drops, you are not KU.  Getting periods during pregnancy is rare.

Yeah, I guess even if you are spotting or bleeding, your temp would still be up.

GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
    BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
    BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
    BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
  • imageRicola:

You can not have a period if you are pregnant. A period is the shedding of the uterine lining, which obviously doesn't happen during pregnancy.

This time 100 and FYI even people who had bleeding during pregnacy, it most likely wasn't every 28-31 days for 5 days.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 3/17/10 Missed M/C Confirmed 4/12/10

MIF+Unexplained DX Feb 2012: Femara+Trigger+IUI=BFP AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageRicola:

You can not have a period if you are pregnant. A period is the shedding of the uterine lining, which obviously doesn't happen during pregnancy.

This, exactly.

• my friends mother says she had "periods" during her whole pregnancy.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • I also know two people that this happened to, however if you're charting and your temps stay up I think that would be a cue that somethings different.
  • I worked with a girl who was pregnant with her 2nd.  Both with her first and her 2nd she got light periods like clockwork for the first 4 months.

Her 1st she didn't know she was pregnant because they wern't trying.  She found out when she started getting sick.

Her 2nd they were trying so she had taken tests and gotten multiple BFP's, confirmed from docs, and still got a light "period" until about 4 months. 

• imageRicola:

This.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Both my mom and sister claim that this was the case for them.  For my mother she had an IUD so she thought that there was no way that she could be pregnant.  She went to the doctor because she could nto understand why she was gaining so much weight.  My sister was going through a very stressful time in her life.  She has had very irregular periods so I think that she thought that spotting was her period.  She was five months pregnant before I convinced my mother to force her to go to the doctor.  If someone else told me this story I would say that it was not true. 
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's possible!  I'd poas every other day just to make 110% sure you're not ku.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageRicola:

Yes 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"