Attachment Parenting
Options

Childcare comforting question

So I left DS at the church nursery today for the first time.  We have been in the nursery to play and get him acquainted with the nursery ladies probably 4 times.  The nursery ladies are all very sweet and play so nicely with the kids and know everyone's names; I love them. 

He was sooo happy today that I left him for about 10 minutes.  When I returned, he was crying piteously....One of the ladies was holding him on her lap, but she wasn't attending to him at all, she was talking to another child.  I'm almost certain she could have comforted him if she talked to him and/or patted him/walked with him.  But she was just sitting there. 

I've seen them try to comfort other crying kids by putting them in strollers and walking them around in circles, but now that I think about it, I haven't seen a lot of "cuddling" comforting.  

Is this normal for a drop-off nursery?  Should I say something?  I mean, it's not like a day-care where I'm paying them, so would it be strange to give a specific instruction like "cuddle and talk to him if he cries"?  Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new to the whole drop-off nursery thing.     

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Childcare comforting question

• Options
    I think it would totally be okay to give them pointers - I would, however, say something like "when he gets fussy, I usually..." vs. "when he gets fussy, you should..." and then you're just filling them in on what he is used to and what they can try.
    ~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think you can really tell them what to do. honestly, they're volunteers at a church. They're not childcare professionals. They have more than one kid to watch at a time. I think you can say "When he's fussy, we usually xyz" but I don't think it's fair to expect that they'll drop everything to comfort your kid the way you would.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageerbear:
    I don't think you can really tell them what to do. honestly, they're volunteers at a church. They're not childcare professionals. They have more than one kid to watch at a time. I think you can say "When he's fussy, we usually xyz" but I don't think it's fair to expect that they'll drop everything to comfort your kid the way you would.

Hmm...I think in our case that this mean that he's too young to be left.  Good to know.  I think it will be an awesome place for him when he's 18 mos or so. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Tell them what works. Maybe they'll do it, maybe they won't.

The nursery workers at both churches I've attended were paid employees, with some volunteer helpers, so they very well may be "professionals".

DD hates the nursery, hates it with a passion. The lady recognizes her even when it's been months since we were there. To their credit, DD was always asleep in their arms when we came back, but they always had plenty of adults and not that many kids.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"