3rd Trimester

baby size... true or myth?

I have read/heard that you will birth babies around the same weight as the babies your mother birthed. Is this true or is this one of those things like if you have heart burn that means your baby will have a full head of hair? Just curious if anyone else has heard this before?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: baby size... true or myth?

• I've heard this, I doubt there is a ton of truth behind it but it sounds good in theory. Both DH and I were 8lbs 7oz so we'll see if LO is close to that!
  • I've never heard this, and seriously doubt if it is true.

My daughter was 5 lbs 14 oz, but my siblings and I were all over 7 lbs. 

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The doctor told me it is definitely a myth...

My brother was 9lbs9oz, I was 8lbs 8oz, and my sister was 7lbs 14oz

DD was 8lbs14oz, and this baby measured 8lbs8oz at 36 wks... so I'm not far off.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This baby is not following that rule.  I was 6lb 6oz.  At my 36 week growth ultrasound this baby was measuring 6lb 8oz +/- 1lb.  So with our projected growth rate, even if the baby was 5lb 8oz, at 40 weeks this kid should be in the 7.5lb range all the way up to 9.5lb range.
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No truth in our family!

I weighed 2lbs 12oz, my twin sister was 4lbs 6oz and our older sister was 4lbs 4oz. Ryan was 7lbs 4oz!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's definitely a myth. I was 5 1/2lbs when I was born and DS1 was 7lbs 1oz. Also, I had horrible reflux/heartburn with DS1 and he only had a tiny amount of hair when he was born
  • This is a myth. I was 5 1/2 lbs when I was born and DS1 was 7lbs 1oz. Also, I had horrible reflux/heartburn with DS1 and he only had a tiny amount of hair when he was born
  • My docs have actually told me that you should expect to have a bigger baby than you/your hubby were because women today are healthier in their pregnancies, whereas women like our moms might have smoked, drank, not eaten as well, etc. Who knows!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• My OB told me that she most often sees your husband's birth weight reflected on the LO.  DH was 8lb 14oz, DD was 8lb 13oz.
  • I've heard it, but it didn't hold true for me.

My mom's babies were 9lbs4oz, 9lbs5oz and 9lbs7oz.  She went past her due date with each of us (nearly three weeks over with me!)

I went into labor early with each of my boys (one week with #1 and two weeks with #2) and they were 7lbs0oz and 7lbs7oz.

My mom had quick, easy labors (her longest was five hours from first contraction to delivery!) and mine were both pretty long (22 hours for #1, 16 hours for #2).

• I've heard it, too.  DH and I have been convinced we'd have big kiddos cuz my siblings and I were, and the same case for his family.  DD was born 5 weeks early, and she was 6 lbs, 7 oz.  My doctor told me she could have easily hit 10 lbs if I had carried her to term....way bigger than any body in mine and DH's family!  We'll find out with this LO if this is true or not.
    imageimageimage
  • God, I hope not!!  I was 10lbs4oz, my younger brother was 10lbs6oz and my older brother was 12lbs13oz!!!  heaven help my vagina if this is true!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My midwife told me that you tend to have babies the same size as your mother did...my bro was 9 lbs 1 oz and I was 9 lbs 9 oz.  My twins are on the large side already, at my 29 week u/s they were both in the 60-70% range. Makes me glad that they are usually a couple weeks early, since I can't imagine carrying around that much baby!
  • Doesn't seem to be true. I was 6.12, my DD was 7.6 and DD#2 expected to be similar....I think with the developments in prenatal care, the avg size of babies has gone up slighty. While genetics certainly have a role, I don't think there is a hard & fast rule. 
  • imageMrsSeli:
    God, I hope not!!  I was 10lbs4oz, my younger brother was 10lbs6oz and my older brother was 12lbs13oz!!!  heaven help my vagina if this is true!!!

lololol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't know but i would say it is an old wives tale.  My mom's kids ranged from 7lbs 11oz (me) to 9lbs 8oz.  My DH was around 8 our DD was 9lbs 3oz so sort of like my mom but my brother at 9lbs 8oz was the only out of 6 that was over 8 1/2.
  • I wouldnt think there's much truth behind it; my mom was 6lbs and i was around 6lbs but DS#1 was 8lbs14oz and i was DS#2 is going to be bigger Indifferent
  • I've heard there is truth to the heartburn thing, some study showed that the hormone that helps with hair growth is related to one that can cause heartburn for the mama. Of course I read that 4 years ago when pregnant with my first. I'm not sure exactly how it worked out, but it seemed to make sense.

My mom had big babies 9 and 10 pounders. My first was 7-5 but my second was 9-4.

Kristen (7), Timothy (5), Robert (3), Charles (9 months)

• My best friend's MIL is a L&D nurse. I saw her this weekend and she was telling me that babies typically are close to husband's birth weight but that labor in general will be a similar experience to what your mother had.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom had three children that ranged in size from 7 1/2 lbs to 9 lbs. My boys were 5lbs 12oz and 6lbs 6oz.
  • imagemmclaussen:
    My best friend's MIL is a L&D nurse. I saw her this weekend and she was telling me that babies typically are close to husband's birth weight but that labor in general will be a similar experience to what your mother had.

This scares me...DH was 13 lbs!  ugh.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    a little bit of life : A blog about the life of a working, crafting, adventuring family of 4.
  • I was 7lbs 5 ounces, DD1 was 7lbs. I think DD2 is going to be smaller though.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I don't know, but Neriah weighed the exact same as I did at birth.
  • my mom weighed 10 lbs (my nana's 3rd child) and my bro and I were 7.5 and 6.5 respectively ( i was first). I haven't had any guestimates on this one but I'm a petite person so I'm not hoping for a giant LO.
  • I was 6.2 and my sister was 6.7 and my DD was 8.5 so that was not true at all.  I did have terrible HB with DD and she had a full head of hair..  I've had awful HB with these two so we'll see on Tuesday if they have hair or not.
  • My mom made a stupid statement at an early ultrasound, she told the tech "I gave birth to and 11lb baby, I think Chey will too" I think the tech saw the fear in my eyes because she very bluntly told my mother "The birth weight, if related at all, is related to the fathers side, not the mothers." My hubby was only 6lbs=)
  • Very close, my labor was very close to my moms. And almost the same to the ounce as me.
  • I don't think this is true at all. My grandma had my mom 1 month late and she was about 7lbs, aunt 1 was 4 lbs full term, aunt 3 was like 3lbs full term. 

I was 6.5 lbs at birth, my ex was 4 lbs at 6 weeks early. DD is the biggest baby born into my family at 8lbs even. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My mom's three kids were: 7lbs. 8oz., 5lbs. 15oz., and 7lbs. 9oz. (all born in the week before our due dates)

My two girls (also born in the week before their due dates) were: 6lbs. 10oz. and 7lbs. 15oz. - so not exact, but not far off. 

I had a lot more acid reflux/heart burn the first time around and DD1 came out pretty much bald. Didn't have as much with DD2 and she has a head full of hair so it wasn't true for me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't know how true that is.  My brothers and I were all a variety of weights.  I think my oldest brother was big- 8 lbs+, I was only 6 lbs 12 oz, and my little brother was a preemie, so he was even less than me.  My son was average at 7 lbs 9 oz.  But I will say that my mom had to have a c section with my oldest brother (and then all the rest of us) and that looks like what I'll be doing too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dr told me it was a myth, but it was true for me. I was 9lbs 5oz, DS was 10lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I looked online for research to help estimate LO's weight. I saw some interesting study (later disproved) to show that your first baby is your shoe size. My mom is size 9.5 and I (her first baby) weighed 9.5 lb. I thought that was neat but anyway disproved thank god because I'm a size 10! The only study I found that wasn't disproved is that your best estimate for the weight of your first child is to take into consideration the weight of your mom and maternal grandma's first LO. It makes sense to me that the size of your husband or anything else doesn't matter. It's about your genes and how the women of your family carry babies.
  • I haven't looked up anything about c-sections but I definitely see correlations in families with that. For example, my grandma's kids and grandkids have never had a c-section and DH's kids and grandkids all have. Huge families so its a large sample. ;-)
  • in my case it is false :) ... LO is still inside and according to the ultrasound he is already 7.5lbs... heavier than i was and exactly how much DH weighed at birth... so ... unless he comes NOW... its false in my case... plus... my mom had a 8.5 lb baby, a 9.5 lb baby and a 6 lb baby.... so i guess if i have a baby the size of my sister or brother it is true... I don't know.. seems crazy to me... there are too many variables.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage Isaac's Momma
  • both DH & i were around 7lbs. (and we were both late.) DS #1 was 9lbs, 2oz, and this one looks on track to be just as big, if not bigger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"