San Diego Babies
Options

maybe moving to san diego... need help

dh is in the top ranks for a job and will probably be offered a postion. pay wise after three yrs he will be $100,000 plus...but starts at $56.... right now we live in mpls and that is plenty for us right now. we own a home and our mortgage is 980 or so a month... what would that get us in san diego? what is the economy like.. can someone give me a general guide of food and gas prices?? and if you live outside of down town san diego, is it still city like, is there a lot of target type places and malls? libraries?? sorry if this is vague just trying to get an idea of the similarities to home!

tia

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
3 failed femara iui cycles-
moving on to IVF oct 2011
ER nov. 7th
tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
lots of +hpt!!
beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
another miscarriage 12/23
moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
ET 4/28 3 transfered
Beta #1- 356
Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: maybe moving to san diego... need help

• Options

I've only been to mpls once, but it seemed like the downtown was a fairly similar size to SD. There are tons of different distinct neighborhoods so there is something for everyone but it just depends what you are looking for. Cost of living is definitely higher, especially downtown or along the beaches. A couple of years ago I was making $56K, DH was in school and only working part time and we lived in a tiny 1 bdrm apt. 10 minutes from downtown for about $1300/mo which I considered cheap. We didn't have much extra money but I always figure you spend what you earn. I switched to a higher paying job and housing prices dropped a lot so we bought a 4 bed/2 bath house further North outside of SD and our mortgage is $1800/mo. Gas is a little over $3/gallon. SD and the suburban cities around it have everything you could possibly need (similar to mpls). We say it is the best city in the world for kids under 10 because there is so much to do here.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

$1000/month will get you a small 1br apartment, and you won't be right in downtown. But yes, there are Targets, malls, libraries, etc. in any area of San Diego. It doesn't get rural like suburbs of Mpls.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    $1000 a month might get you a studio apartment in a decent area.  $56K a year for two people isn't much at all, IMHO.  It won't be too different from MSP in terms of strip malls and shopping, but it's much more expensive to buy/rent.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think you'd love San Diego, we certainly do, however it might be a shocker since the cost of living is so much higher. We are moving out of CA to a lower COL location for a job promotion and are very excited about what we can get for our money's worth (i'm a native CAian and i'm excited for seasons :) ). Here in SD we own a 1 bedroom condo a mile from the beach with a mortgage of $1370 plus $350 HOA. That's about standard in our area for condos- and we bought super low in the market.  We just rented it out, since we're moving, for $1250. My sister's studio is $900/mo.  $56k/year will be tough but not impossible, you'll just have to be realistic aout what you can afford. We make great money and will be making the same amount when we leave CA but our life style is increasing 3 fold. It's all a matter of personal preference and how you want to live. You'll have everything you need no matter what part of town you live in. Not to mention the weather is awesome, no harsh winters...but expect to miss the fall colors :)

Good luck if you guys move, it'll be a great change!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with everyone else.  The cost of living here is a lot.  We live in North County (Escondido) and are currently paying $905 for a 650 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment.  And it's not even in a "nice" area of town.  We are moving this weekend into a 2 bedroom condo for $1500.  I did some research and 2 bedroom apartments are running between $1200 - $1400, depending on the location.

Today, gas in my area is about $3 a gallon...but that can change tomorrow.  Food prices all depend on the grocery store.  In my opinion, Albertsons or Ralphs are the most expensive!!!

Lots of Targets, Walmarts, malls, libraries, etc.

Good Luck!!!

• Options
    San Diego's beautiful and I think you'll love it, but like everyone else said, it's going to be hard to support a family of 3 on 56k.  It's doable, but not easy.  IMO the nicest areas are in North County coastal, like Carlsbad, Leucadia and Encinitas.  You can find a nice 2 bdrm in Carlsbad for around $1600 a month in a really nice, safe suburban area.  I usually spend around $100 per grocery trip (more if I go to Whole Foods) for just me and the baby (who's breastfed, so just diapers etc. for her) and I go about once every 2 weeks, gas is around $3/gallon and childcare if you end up needing it is $800 and up for FT.  Do you know about how long it would be before he got a pay increase?  Is the job in the downtown area of San Diego?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Where is your husband going to be working? San Diego downtown or will he be in northern San Diego?  You could consider going north and a little inland to Temecula (if he is willing to do the commute) because you get A LOT more bang for your buck.  You can get a fairly new house with at least 3 beds and 2baths for under 200k in Temecula, and it's a really great family oriented community up there with lots of great parks.  Also, there are a lot of the amenities that everyone looks for like Walmart, Target, Costco, restaurants etc.  But the big downfall is obviously the commute because it's going to be like 60 miles to downtown San Diego (but it's only like 40 from where I live in North SD).  

Not sure what food prices are like in Minneapolis, but I'm from Cleveland, OH and I save so much on produce out here.  I go to Henrys (a produce store) and spend less than $20 on produce (per week) and I have so much in comparison to what I used to be able to get back East.  I get my other groceries normally from Vons and Albertsons, and I really pay attention to the weekly ads we get.  Ralph's is the other major grocery store out here and I think it's more than the other 2.  Also, we get a lot of food from Costco, so if you don't have a membership there I would suggest one because you can save on diapers too.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"