Parenting after 35

I have a FFFC, too

I want to turn Aaron's car seat to forward facing.

There. I said it.

I'm not going to for at least another few months, because I want him to be safe, but he's getting too big to be sitting rear-facing in my Saturn Aura. 

Maybe if I had a bigger car or a SUV he'd fit better. But my tall boy is so cramped that he pushes his feet against the back seat of the car and the car seat rocks a bit (and it's installed properly, I had a policeman check).

I can't wait to turn him forward facing. I think he'll be much more comfortable.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!

Re: I have a FFFC, too

• We turned F forward facing at 1 year. That was what was recommended at the time so that was what we did. A few weeks later we heard somewhere that the new standard was later but it was too late. There was no going back. So he sits happily facing forward and I have no regrets. I'm sure it would be fine if you switched him. He's a big boy and they were switching them at 1 year for a long time prior to the recent change. Of course my little humble opinion means nothing but still...:-)
  • Thanks, snwfields. Smile

DH wants to. So we may just go for it. I go back and forth over this.

*sigh*

There's no way he'll make it to 2.  Maybe I'll use 15 months (in 2.5 weeks) to be my switch age.

• Loading the player...
  • DH turned Stella's seat in his car around on her first birthday (she met the weight requirement).  I wasn't thrilled about the idea, but she was so much happier riding forward.  She has long legs and they were all crunched up when she was still rear facing.  I was doing the majority of daycare droppff and pickup at the time, so I left her rear facing in my car for another month or so, but did turn her and again, she is much happier.
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Eeeeek!  When did it change to 2?  Oh, there was no way N would have waited, he had already passed the weight limit months before his 1st b-day and he was constantly bored staring at the blank seat back and kicking.  I just couldn't wait to turn him around on his 1st .... I even did it a few days before.Embarrassed  (Me and my rebel self!)
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Me too Robyn! If it wasn't for my husband I would do it! Hey when we were young my mom just held us in the car lol!

I really want to do what's best and so I will :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I feel the same way about Mikey - his little feet kick the seat and I make jokes about his knees hitting his ears soon.

I think we're still going to wait though. He seems happy enough so I'd rather wait till he's older. He's already technically big enough to be turned around, but I plan to keep him rear-facing until he seems unhappy with it. Or he's too big for his carseat to be RF.  He's 10 pounds and 4 inches shy of the limit.

• We turned Maeve around at 11 months.... (didn't know until now that it had been changed......we just thought we did it 1 month early)  oh well- she loves being forward facing  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had her forward-facing for a short while when we were borrowing a small car recently, and Margaux HATES being rear-facing again.  No way will she make it to 2!
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I understand the desire to want to turn him around. I have a Honda Element, so to get him into his seat, I have to climb into the vehicle. When I turn him around, I will put him on the passenger's side of the car, getting him in will be so much easier! When it is just the two if us in the vehicle, I will recline the front passenger seat, and he'll be able to see out so well. . .

But, I am going to try to wait. LO is a little guy (height & weight are 12th & 15th percentiles) while his head is big--83rd percentile. So, with the physics of an accident in mind, I know that my sweet punkin head is safer. Plus, he doesn't seem to mind facing backwards. When all three of us are in the car, I ride in the back with him and he likes that. I also think that the more open back end of the Element helps, along with the raised second row.

Don't get me wrong, there are days that I think about it. . . But then I feel guilty and remember why I am choosing to keep my LO rear facing until as close to two as we can do it. My kid, my choice. Your kid, your choice. (And no, DH didn't get a say. I told him what and why I felt this way he accepted it. Granted, If LO is in the car, 99% of the time, I'm with him.) Do what is best for Aaron.
  • No flames, but I read several articles on forward facing infants. Here is one:

https://www.carseatsite.com/rear-face_article.htm

The idea of the head being separated from the spine by a frontal crash totoally freaked me out. We had installed the convertible car seat first forward facing because Sarah's legs are way too long for rear facing, but then I considered that even a broken leg would be so much better than broken neck. We turned it rear facing in our Toyota Corolla where there is not a lot of space.  

• OK, I admit that Ellie is no where near being scrunched in her RF seat, so as a mommy, I haven't experienced LO's displeasure at being RF.  However, I've worked trauma and at a children's hospital.  The data is strong and the research well done.  I have seen the devastation first hand - it is horrible.  What it does to the parents, their child, and everyone.  While hopefully the chances of such a motor vehicle crash may be low, Ellie's discomfort vs her well being...she'll be rear facing as long as possible.
  • imageSFAug07:

No flames, but I read several articles on forward facing infants. Here is one:

https://www.carseatsite.com/rear-face_article.htm

The idea of the head being separated from the spine by a frontal crash totoally freaked me out. We had installed the convertible car seat first forward facing because Sarah's legs are way too long for rear facing, but then I considered that even a broken leg would be so much better than broken neck. We turned it rear facing in our Toyota Corolla where there is not a lot of space.  

We have a Corolla, too, and we kept S rear-facing until 2.  Taking her shoes off in the car gave her a little more leg-room, and she learned to cross them or prop them on the seat.  She was always happy that way, so we didn't feel the need to switch her.

Everyone has to do what's best for them :)

• Good thing you didn't post this on the Toddler board!  Surprise  But I totally get what you're saying.  A couple weeks ago we had a 2 hour drive so I turned Simon's seat FF because I didn't want him fussing.  The entire drive I was so distracted by him facing me, because I could reach back and play with him, that as soon as we got home I turned it back RF again and that's the way it will stay for as long as he can stand it.  If his legs get cramped I will just recline the car seat that his Marathon is attached to.  And I've already removed the headrest so he can see out the back window. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemtnrider:
    Good thing you didn't post this on the Toddler board!  Surprise  But I totally get what you're saying.

Yeah... flame city. lol

But I did say I wasn't going to yet. I just want to. Safety is more important. As long as I can keep Aaron from kicking too hard and rocking that seat back and forth.

• Nobody can blame you for wanting. Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"