Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Thumb/finger sucking question?

Do you take your LO's finger out of their mouths whe they are sucking on them? Our LO has found her thumb and that seems to be her soothing mechanism but my husband freaks when he sees it in her mouth and takes it out. Then of course she cries and It makes me sad to see her like that so I normally let her suck it. Is this a bad habit waiting to happen? Should we take it out and just let her cry herself to sleep? She used to take a paci but when she discovered her thumb that is all she wants!

Re: Thumb/finger sucking question?

• Options

No way! I let mine have at it. I guess it will be tough to break down the road, but for now he needs to suck. All babies do.

• Options
    We let DS suck on his fingers/thumbs whenever he wants.  Whether it's the start of a habit or not, I'm not going to keep him from soothing himself.
    BFP #1 10/27/2009 ~ DS1 ~ BIRTHday 7/16/2010 ~ med-free Bradley birth @ 40w5d
    BFP #2 1/22/2012 ~ DS2 & DD ~ BIRTHday 9/13/2012 ~ unplanned C-section @ 38w1d
    BFP #3 5/4/2015 ~ EDD 1/7/2016
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know! Thats what I think! She even sucks the air when she is sleeping. Just have to get DH to let her do it ugh!
  • Options

imageslshotts:
    I know! Thats what I think! She even sucks the air when she is sleeping. Just have to get DH to let her do it ugh!

My husband didn't want the baby to suck his thumb at first. I ended up either showing him a website or a book (or both) explaining that babies need to suck and that did the trick.

• Options
    I try to get my baby to suck his thumb! If it makes him happy, he can soothe himself & won't want to comfort nurse then why wouldn't I want him to. At this point I don't care if he sucks his thumb when he is 30! ok kidding on that last one, but I've never seen an adult suck their thumb so I think it will be ok. (he won't take a pacifier)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"