Pregnant after IF
Options

Question regarding beta

Happy Halloween!

First, I wanted to thank you all for such a warm welcome. I really appreciate it! MY RE only tested my beta levels twice. It was 120 at 14dpo and 301 at 16dpo. He said no more were necessary and I go back on Nov. 8 for an early ultrasound. I've noticed that a lot of women have several beta withdrawals. Should I be concerned about this and ask for another one? Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Me-29 PCOS H-29 9/27 Injectables & TI cycle 10/27 Beta #1 120 10/29 Beta #2 301 11/8 5 wks. 4 days-gestational sac and yolk sac located 11/19 7 wks. 1 day-heartbeat found-140bpm! 2/11 19 wks. 4 days-anatomy scan-It's a boy! :)BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Question regarding beta

• Options
    I don't think so.  From what I have seen on here 3 seems to be the "norm" but I have seen others that had good rises after the second so their RE didn't do a third.  If you want more reassurance you could probably ask for a third beta draw (I don't know why they would say no). 
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Options
    Oh I wanted to add that many women that have more than 3 have those because their numbers were rising slowly, started off really low etc.
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

There's no reason to continue doing betas unless you can encourage your doctor to do so. I did IVF and I also had some bleeding so I did have three.  Good luck with your u/s on November 8th!

Congrats on your BFP!!

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about only have two betas.  I only had two as well.  The RE said since my numbers were good and doubled in less then 48 hours she didn't think it was necessary to do a third.

Congrats again!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't be worried at all.  My RE only does 1 beta if they're happy with the first number.  I was SO worried about that, but he said that if it's a good strong number, they don't see a need to keep repeating betas.  However, I insisted on a 2nd beta to make sure it was rising appropriately, and they accommodated my request.  

Congrats! 

Mom to Boy/Girl twins born 8/2005 (IUI+inj.) 1st IVF= failed 11/2009 (IVF) Lost identical twins 3/10 (FET #1)Early m/c 6/2010 (FET #2) Twin Boys! Born 3/21/2011 @ 36w3d
  • Options
    Thanks for making me feel better!! I need to just stop worrying about EVERYTHING! (yea, right!)
    Me-29 PCOS H-29 9/27 Injectables & TI cycle 10/27 Beta #1 120 10/29 Beta #2 301 11/8 5 wks. 4 days-gestational sac and yolk sac located 11/19 7 wks. 1 day-heartbeat found-140bpm! 2/11 19 wks. 4 days-anatomy scan-It's a boy! :)BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. You shouldn't be concerned at all. My RE only does a third beta draw if the rise between the first and second is less than 60% in 48 hours. For this pregnancy, I only had two beta draws, and then my first u/s was at 5 wks 6 days. Your betas rose really nicely so I don't think you have anything to worry about right now :)
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options

with my first IVF where my betas were so low that they knew I would lose the baby they brought me in every 48 hours for two weeks. This was to check against a c/p, possible ectopic, etc. And they can't even pull up the fetal sac without an hcg count of 1000 or greater, so it helped them to know when to bring me in for the first u/s and confirm the loss.

With IVF #2 my levels were sky high and I only had two betas and then an u/s at 7 weeks.

GL! 

• Options
    My RE only does 2 when they are rising appropriately.  I had 3 this time only because I asked for it for reassurance.
  • Options

Hi i am in the same boat.

I am only having 2 as well.  At 9dp5dt i was 82.9 w a rise to 217 in 48 hrs.  They said i dont need another one either.  I also go for an US on the 8th. 

I have noticed that some RE's do 3, even if u are rising well.  Looks like our have the same idea, 2 and then the ultrasound.  GOOD LUCK!!

• Options
    i think 3 is probably the norm, but since your first beta was so high, and your second rose so nicely, there wasn't a need.  i had a weird mix up with my second beta, so i think that's why i had 4.  normally, they would have stopped at 3 (at most).
  • Options
    My RE does two and then another 10 days later.  I asked for a 4th in the middle of the 10 days because while my first two doubled they were low, albeit normal for the days they were drawn on.  Plus my RE doesn't do an u/s until almost 7 weeks so I need some reassurance.  They are only doing the extra beta because I asked and they don't want me to worry.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Options

My RE does whatever is necessary based on the individual. He only did 2 on me because the # more than doubled within 48 hours. 

However he did humor me the following week when I was flipping out with nerves in anticipation of waiting for my first u/s and gave me another one. It was some ridiculous # 21dp3dt like 2,646 so he said okay...see you in a few weeks no more betas necessary! 

TTC since 8/07 DX - Severe MFI/azoospermia & MTHFR/ TESEs found sperm - 7/08 & 6/09/ 12/08 - IVF#1 - BFN/ 6/09 - IVF #2 - cancelled due to OHSS risk (had retrieval)/ 7/09 - FET #1 - BFN/ 9/09 - FET #2 - BFN/ 11/09 - IVF #3 with new RE cancelled twice - 10/09 & 11/09/ 1/10 - IVF #3 take 3 - BFN/ 4/10 - IVF #4 - first ever BFP on 5/13/10!!! 108 @ 10dp3dt/ 2nd beta 311!/ sono on 5/28/10 said TWINS!!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i only had a third beta because my 1st u/s was so far away and I was being paranoid. I called and begged for it. They didnt want to do it, but they gave in.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I only had 2 since there was a very nice rise.
  • Options
    After all of your comments, now it makes me nervous that I have 5 betas scheduled.  The first one was the 25th and it was 124, the second was the 28th and that was 576.  I go again tomorrow, the 4th and then the 8th....that seems like a lot.  Like someone else said, my u/s won't be scheduled until 7 weeks.  So, many of you are lucky to have the 5 week u/s.  It sucks to have to keep waiting (especially while I am still itching). I guess i am being over beta tested!
  • Options

Thanks for all the responses! Maybe it just depends when REs do the first ultrasound and of course how the numbers are rising.

Robynss-b/c you don't have an ultrasound until the 7th week, they probably need to keep tabs on you through blood work. Could you request an earlier ultrasound?

• Options
    Good thought but they will tell me what id next after each beta results!
  • Options
    No worries!  I only had 2 betas.  The only time I had more than 2 was for my CP.  You had a good rise so don't be worried!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"