December 2010 Moms
Options

2 possibly dumb questions...

1. During contractions and actual labor, not this BH business, does LO keep moving and squriming or do they kind of chill out and get down to the work at hand?

2. If you have a c/s, how do they get the amniotic fluid out? I assumed they would use suction but I asked my SIL today who had her c/s 5 weeks ago and she said she didn't hear or notice any suction.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: 2 possibly dumb questions...

• Options
    They broke my water while in labor before they decided to do a csection. I can't remember about LO's movement. I guess that wasn't really on my mind at that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi. I can answer Number # 2

The amniotic fliud gets sucks out usually with a bulb thingy and when they go to bed, they suction the rest out with a tiny tube. (seen this on all baby stories with c/s)

Sunny (37) & Scott (41) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSunnyinseattle1:

Hi. I can answer Number # 2

The amniotic fliud gets sucks out usually with a bulb thingy and when they go to bed, they suction the rest out with a tiny tube. (seen this on all baby stories with c/s)

So they suction the fluid out of your amniotic sac with a little bulb? or do you mean out of the baby's nose and mouth? (at least I gave fair warning these were dumb questions!)

• Options

1. ds1 was kicking and moving until the minute he came out but when it comes down to it, it really depends on the baby and what position the baby is in.

2. i'm pretty sure they suction it out but it could also leak out of the vagina too, along with all the lovely stuff that comes after having a baby.

• Options
    imageLiLnikkiMe:

1. ds1 was kicking and moving until the minute he came out but when it comes down to it, it really depends on the baby and what position the baby is in.

2. i'm pretty sure they suction it out but it could also leak out of the vagina too, along with all the lovely stuff that comes after having a baby.

This was DH's guess so I told him I'd ask my Bump girls. I guess I can google too, but who knows what that'll get me! Yahoo answers probably has some pretty funny things to say!

• Options
    I can't answer #1 since I have never been in real labor but....I remember hearing suction, and another interesting fact they pump air into your belly before closing you. I remember hearing that as well. Then I couldnt leave the hospital until I passed gas (but I think that was for everyone not just c/s).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagelaurncui812.0:
    Then I couldnt leave the hospital until I passed gas (but I think that was for everyone not just c/s).

really??  do you know why they make you pass gas before you leave?  sorry if thats a dumb question...just never heard of it! 

• Options
    imageKristi221:

1. During contractions and actual labor, not this BH business, does LO keep moving and squriming or do they kind of chill out and get down to the work at hand?

2. If you have a c/s, how do they get the amniotic fluid out? I assumed they would use suction but I asked my SIL today who had her c/s 5 weeks ago and she said she didn't hear or notice any suction.

I really don't know about #1...LOL

2- Are you talking about from LO or your ute? If you are talking about your ute, they suction with a tube and Yankauer suction, I didn't have alot of PP bleeding either time after my section because my doctor cleaned me out good. It was no worse than a period really. I did feel some pressure and a gush between my legs before the suctioning. As for LO, they still use a bulb syringe on them and possibly a small suction tube. They don't get all the fluid out of their nose/ mouth becasue they aren't making the trip down the birth canal.

• Options
    imagexxbabycakesxx:

imagelaurncui812.0:
    Then I couldnt leave the hospital until I passed gas (but I think that was for everyone not just c/s).

really??  do you know why they make you pass gas before you leave?  sorry if thats a dumb question...just never heard of it! 

I know this one! The anesthesia slows down your, um, bodily processes, so they want to make sure everything is still in working order before you leave. That's typical for most surgeries that I know of.

• Options
    imageKristi221:
    imagexxbabycakesxx:

imagelaurncui812.0:

I know this one! The anesthesia slows down your, um, bodily processes, so they want to make sure everything is still in working order before you leave. That's typical for most surgeries that I know of.

Also all the narcotics they give slows down your bowels.

And goodness gracious, don't lie about pooping! Make sure you take your stool softeners!

• Options
    imagefutureCLJ:
    imageKristi221:
    imagexxbabycakesxx:

imagelaurncui812.0:

Also all the narcotics they give slows down your bowels.

And goodness gracious, don't lie about pooping! Make sure you take your stool softeners!

They suctioned the amniotic fluid- it wasn't really loud, but it was definitely going on.  But I also have a friend who had a c/s due to breech and her husband said that as soon as they made the incision, the fluid gushed onto the floor.  Totally freaked him out- lol!  So I guess it just depends?

As for the poop/passing gas thing, this is also to make sure there is no bowel obstructions.  Pretty common with any type of abdominal surgery.  They didn't make me poop before I left the hospital, but they asked me if I had passed gas every time they checked my incision for the first 48 hours.  In fact, I don't think I was allowed to eat any solids until I had.  When the nurse first asked me this, I looked at her like she was insane until she explained it to me.  And I agree w/ pp- TAKE YOUR STOOL SOFTENERS. 

• Options
    imagexxbabycakesxx:

imagelaurncui812.0:

To make sure everything is functioning okay and the gas is not trapped inside. Just like the previous people said. AND the pooping thing...wow I thought I was going to die and I took the softeners. I can't imagine what it would have been like not taking the softeners.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"