Multiples

I should be pumping right now. :(

My hats off to all of you who EP. I don't know how you do it.  I have been home since last Saturday and I think I might give it up.  It's too much for me.  It seems like everytime I have a free moment to myself or to spend with the babies not feeding or changing them I need to pump.  I hate it.  It probably wouldn't be so bad if my pumping felt productive, but I,m only getting 1-2 of 8 daily feedings per baby of BM... so about 15 oz. per day which is what the visiting nurse just told me is typical (?).

I've read this same post from numerous MoMs and now here I am posting it. ::sigh:: 

jailbirds Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I should be pumping right now. :(

• oh you are so not alone.  i just gave up myself, like pp said, all i did was pump, clean machine and clean bottles all day.  yes, i am sad about it, but i have my life and my sanity back so i can better tend to my kids.

oht

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only made it 3 weeks with pumping.  Like you, I wasn't getting very much at all.  I would maybe get 1-2 oz per pump, usually more like 1 oz total.  I felt like all I did was feed, change, pump... and I only had 2 babies!  Once I quit, it was the biggest relief!  I had more time, less stress.  Not too encourage you to quit, but just wanted to let you know if you did, you are not a failure and you may be happier in the end.  It's funny because I found some pump parts today in a closet and I threw them out immediately.  I told my DH if we have another baby someday, I'm going straight to formula feeding!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am typing this response while bummed out after a cruddy pumping session. I've been nursing the babies, but in two weeks I go back to work, so I decided that today I'd pump during work hours and feed the babies out of bottles--to start getting them used to it. I'm not getting nearly enough. I'm not sure how I'm going to continue feeding them exclusively breastmilk when I go back to work, and I'm so bummed about the idea of phasing to formula after the three months of pain, stress, money, and time I've spent to finally be able to breastfeed.

Don't mean to hijack your post, but want you to know that I feel you. It's so hard!  

imageMrsLee04:
    Nursing multiples is great if you can do it, but it's not a failure if you can't.  I finally gave in at 4 months and honestly wished I had given up sooner.  I was miserable because all I did was nurse, pump, make bottles, and clean bottles.  Just remember, a happy mommy is a good mommy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had the SAME problem and ended up stopping pumping because every free moment i get i should have been pumping so i kept having to put my older DD off and it was killing me and since i was only getting 1-2 feedings and the lack of sleep, i gave up (and i tried fenugreek but was allergic to it) So  i gave up pumping...i felt guiltya nd still do some moments...but my boys are healthy and going great and I am doing better.  You have to look at the whole picture!  Good lucka nd try not to be to hard on yourself, hugs!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I EPed with DD because she would not latch on for about 7 months.  As soon as I finally let myself stop I felt like I had my life back.  I have no idea how or why I made it that long!  I am happy I did it, but I have already decided that when the twins are born I will pump for 1 month MAX and I will not feel bad if I do not make it that far.
  • imagesrh08.05.06:

I only made it 3 weeks with pumping.  Like you, I wasn't getting very much at all.  I would maybe get 1-2 oz per pump, usually more like 1 oz total.  I felt like all I did was feed, change, pump... and I only had 2 babies!  Once I quit, it was the biggest relief!  I had more time, less stress.  Not too encourage you to quit, but just wanted to let you know if you did, you are not a failure and you may be happier in the end.  It's funny because I found some pump parts today in a closet and I threw them out immediately.  I told my DH if we have another baby someday, I'm going straight to formula feeding!!

This. It was just too much, and I felt like I wasn't getting any quality time with the babies b/c I was doing all that and constantly in a bad mood b/c I was dreading the next feeding and pumping session. It was a huge relief when I quit.

• I could have written this exact post- I felt just like you.  I gave up and felt so much better once I did.

All that's important is that you are happy and feeding your babies.

• are you able to nurse? you can try using the EZ2Nurse pillow to tandem feed two babies hands free, and then put the third baby in the bouncer or boppy in front of you, and feed them a bottle of formula.  Then rotate the babies each feeding.

honestly, i could have not pumped.  but nursing, especially as they get older, is the easiest option - even easier than bottle feeding.

• Don't feel bad.  It's soooo difficult with multiples.  Do the best that you can but maintain your sanity.  Hang in there!   
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • imagegumiberg:

are you able to nurse? you can try using the EZ2Nurse pillow to tandem feed two babies hands free, and then put the third baby in the bouncer or boppy in front of you, and feed them a bottle of formula.  Then rotate the babies each feeding.

honestly, i could have not pumped.  but nursing, especially as they get older, is the easiest option - even easier than bottle feeding.

this. now that Abby and Lucas are way more efficient at nursing it's definitely easier than bottles. Zoey has pretty much refused to nurse lately (and was never very good at it anyway) so she always gets bottles. I'm gradually reducing my pumping sessions, and I think I'll stop pumping by the end of Dec and just bf after that.

• I just quit at almost 4 months. I never could get to pumping 8 times a day. I always did more like 3 and suddenly my supply tanked. The girls are eating 6 oz now and so there is no way I could keep up 12 oz. every feeding. I was having to supplement more than breastfeeding. I felt guilty but now it is a relief to not have to anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"