Toddlers: 24 Months+

Zyrtec vs. Claritin?

DS has been taking Zyrtec (Target brand since the recall) for his allergies since February.  In the spring, it really seemed to help but this fall, we are struggling.  He has had the worst cough for weeks.  I'm just wondering if anyone's child takes Claritin and if you think it works?  I'm thinking about switching him to Claritin to see if that will help us get rid of this cough. 

Re: Zyrtec vs. Claritin?

• We tried both.  I have not seen a difference between the two.  DS has had a cough for months.  We are going to make an appt to see and ENT.  Pedi thinks he might have to get his adenoids removed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've only used Zyrtec generic for DS, so I can't say. But I think Claritin only works for outdoor allergies- pollens, etc. and Zyrtec works for indoor and outdoor. Do you know what he's allergic to? Or does his dose need to increase maybe?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DS took Zyrtec until the recall. We tried the generic(walmart..the only store we have) brand and it made him very hyper and aggressive so we switched to Claritin and I don't think it works as well. The pedi gave him a prescription for singular because the Claritin just wasn't working for him.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Zyrtec gave her a stomachache.  Claritin doesn't seem to work well.  We've got coughing, clearing throat and itchy eyes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKellina:
    I've only used Zyrtec generic for DS, so I can't say. But I think Claritin only works for outdoor allergies- pollens, etc. and Zyrtec works for indoor and outdoor. Do you know what he's allergic to? Or does his dose need to increase maybe?

Not sure what he's allergic too but it seems to be more of an outdoor allergy situation.  Spring and fall are the worst for him but summer and winter, he's fine.  I had never thought about the dosage increase.  We're still doing the 1/2 tsp the pedi told us in the spring but maybe I should call to check about dosage now.  He has had a serious growth spurt or two since the spring. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"