Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

anyone take Misoprostol?

Did it work? What was it like? My doctor really wants me to try this route before surgery. Just curious to see if anyone else did this and how it went. Thanks for your help!

Re: anyone take Misoprostol?

• Options
    I've taken it twice. It helps your body release the pregnancy on it's own so it's easier when they do the D&C. It causes your uterus to contract. Not bad contractions, but it's like period cramps. Just uncomfortable. It also helps with bleeding. Once your body begins to release the baby, the excess blood flowing to your uterus will stop. That was their main concern for me because I was so far along, preventing extra blood loss. I had my second D&C this morning and I had to take 2 pills 2 hours before. They tell you to put it in between your cheek and gums to let it dissolve for 10-30 mins, depending on who your dr is. It will make you cramp up though, so ask if you can take a pain reliever before hand. But it's not that bad, I promise! I'm a weakling and suck at taking pain and I could handle it, so I'm sure you can. Good luck with everything!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for your response! I've had a missed miscarriage (or blighted ovum) and would be 9 weeks tomorrow. My doctor wants me to take it vaginally in hopes that it will cause me to miscarry. I'm so nervous!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was planning to do this if my body didn't miscarry naturally by 10 weeks, but ended up finally having the m/c on my own last weekend. 

To bring on the m/c they insert the pills vaginally and it can cause pretty bad cramping, but it's pretty effective up to about 10 weeks at getting everything to come out to avoid a d&c.   The risks are basically the same as having the miscarriage naturally -- it's possible that it won't all come out on its own and you'll need a d & c anyway; risk of infection is about the same as natural; risk of excess bleeding is about the same as natural.  

For me, I really wanted to avoid a d&c if possible, because there have been a lot of studies suggesting it could damage the cervix muscles and increase risk of premature labor in later pregnancies (although it hasn't been conclusively established).  I also am always afraid of anesthesia because of all the complications that can happen with it.  That's why I had decided to go with the misoprostol if it didn't happen naturally.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

i've taken it but was by mouth.

Did cause very painful cramps for me but it did let me avoid a d&c.

So sorry you're going through this hon 

Even miracles take a little time - Cinderella

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I took the oral pill the night before the D&C. The dr said it would help my cervix to start to open. I actually didn't feel anything from it. No cramping, no nothing, and when the dr went in to do the D&C the next afternoon, he said that my cervix was wide open.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I took the first dose last night and had bleeding and cramping but the doctor says I haven't been bleeding enough and will do a second dose tonight...oh joy! Normally on halloween weekend I prefer to get dressed up and go out and have fun rather than stage a horror show at home! I do appreciate all of your input...hopefully after 2 doses of this I can avoid a d&c. The cramping really wasn't too terrible (though obviously uncomfortable) but the stories I've heard (not from any of you) really had me more nervous than probably necessary.
  • Options

I did, twice, and it was the right choice for me.  Motrin was key though.  I didn't find it that bad, just be sure to have lots of pads on hand and REST.  Take it easy for the next two weeks at least!! Your body has unfortunately been traumatized and I wish I had been a little easier on myself.

You will probably bleed for the next two weeks.  I'm still spotting slightly but if you have concerns have your doctor test your HcG levels down to zero.  Mine are decreasing as they should just slowwwwwly.  

I'm very sorry for your loss.  I'm a month out and I promise you will feel better in time.  Hang in there and remember be gentle withy yourself, this is tough stuff. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  

<3 Married July 1, 2006 <3

BFP #1 9/2/10; EDD 5/10/11. Natural m/c @ 9 wks 10/5/10; misoprostol assisted.

BFP #2 2/7/11; EDD 10/19/11. CP 2/17/11.

BFP #3 7/25/11; EDD 4/5/12. Healthy baby boy born 4/5/12, so in love!!! :)

BFP #4 9/13/13; EDD 5/22/14. M/C @ 6 wks 9/28/13.

BFP #5 3/10/13; EDD 11/21/14.  Stick little one, stick! Beta #1 23 (11 DPO); #2 66 (13 DPO); #3 163 (15 DPO); #4 2,860!!! (21 DPO). Saw HB on 4/4 @ 144BPM, hooray!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"