Working Moms

Kind of WM Related: Had to adminster the epi-pen

Ryan drank cow's milk the other morning and reacted immediately.  First he threw up, then the hives started on his face and his eyes were swollen.  When he started pulling on his tongue and crying I had to hit him with the epi.

He is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts but he had never reacted like that before.  Until then, benadryl had worked.  Calling 911 and spending a few hours in the ER was not fun but luckily his air way was never compromised so all's well that ends well.

Of course, that morning I had an early morning conference call with one of our VP's and legal (about an employee relations issue).  I had to email my boss from the ER and she went flying down the hall to attend the meeting for me.  I hate to delegate up but this was the time to do it! I also ended up going in to the office for a couple of hours that afternoon because there were things I absolutely had to get done that day.  DH stayed home with the boys so he could monitor Ryan but I still felt like crap that I wasn't there. 

We made it 19 months without having to administer the epi-pen.  I hope to make it even longer this time.  Crying

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

Re: Kind of WM Related: Had to adminster the epi-pen

• Oh man, that super sucks!  I lived in fear of that for a few years. DS passed his peanut challenge, but even then I was afraid we'd need it.  Allergies are scary! 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I'm sorry, that sucks....but I'm glad he was ok in the end.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • OMG!!!  I'm glad he is okay!!
  • imageshouldbworkin:
    Oh man, that super sucks!  I lived in fear of that for a few years. DS passed his peanut challenge, but even then I was afraid we'd need it.  Allergies are scary! 

At what age did you do the food challenge?  I've heard that's the only way to really know if they've outgrown the allergy.  Clearly we aren't there with milk yet but I am wondering about egg.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• imageluvmagoldn:

imageshouldbworkin:
    Oh man, that super sucks!  I lived in fear of that for a few years. DS passed his peanut challenge, but even then I was afraid we'd need it.  Allergies are scary! 

At what age did you do the food challenge?  I've heard that's the only way to really know if they've outgrown the allergy.  Clearly we aren't there with milk yet but I am wondering about egg.

5 - right before he started KG. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Aw poor guy!  I just got our epi pen refill (one had expired) and I'm like 30 bucks for something I hope I never have to use!!

My DD has a tree nut allergy...I hope to God to never have to see her swollen face like I did when she first presented the allergy..nightmares...Crying

• How scary!  LO is allergic to milk and peanuts.  I know at some point we'll have a situation where we need to use the epi, but am so glad we haven't yet.  I'm glad all turned out well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"