Cincinnati Babies
Options

Mattress Questions...

We're thinking about buying a mattress for DS.  He's been sleeping in a toddler bed just fine, but we have an opportunity through an upcoming sale to get what seems to be a great deal on one. 

I'm trying to think this one through, and dh and I are going back and forth on twin vs full.  The idea of a full sounds appealing for those nights when he needs someone to lay with him (while we don't normally do this, there are some nights where it's necessary), story time, etc...  Is it worth having the full?  I had a twin growing up, so I'm not convinced but I can see why it would be nice to have. 

What about transitioning from toddler bed to full bed (or twin if we actually go that route)?  Issues?  If we make the move, it's a few weeks away, but it's something I definitely want to think about.  The transition from a crib to a toddler bed, while necessary due to his climbing abilities, was H E L L.  I really don't want to go through that again... but for some reason this seems to me like it would be easier.  Thoughts? 

Thanks ladies

Re: Mattress Questions...

• Options
    I don't have children so I can't comment from that aspect, but from my view I would go with a full. I just think twins are pretty small and if you go with a full now and get a good mattress it could last him through high school and beyond. I know you said you had a twin but chances are your son will be larger than you and the full would just provide so much more room. I had a twin until I was about 7 then I got a queen bed from my grandma. Dh and i still had it until recently when we got a king a few years ago! I look at it as an investment.
    6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

If you have room for a full I'd definitely go with that.  That way you won't ever really have to get something new for him.  It would last him through high school most likely...I doubt most teenagers would prefer a twin bed.  We have a full for Noah, and so far we've never really had to lay with him....but we do get on it to read before bed.  It's nice to have the extra room.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Our crib converts to a toddler bed, and then to a full.  I think full is definitely the way to go if you want it to last a few years.  Boys grow so fast.  I kept my DS in a twin bed too long.  We got him a queen bed when we moved into this house.  He is 6 ft tall, and was all out of that twin.  If you have the room size, go with a full. 

My advice is to go ahead and buy the mattress if you can get a steal, and store it until he is ready for a bigger bed.  No need to rush into putting him into a strange situation.  I remember reading your posts recently about nap and bedtime.  Why not keep your toddler bed that he is finally ok with, and let him enjoy the security of it before having him change over?  I fear you might be setting yourself up for some sleepless nights again if you move him too soon.  You can always put the mattress on the floor for awhile to make it easier.  But having that much space to sleep might make him fearful while he is little.  Get the mattress, but give him time to enjoy his newish toddler bed before you change again.  Strictly my thoughts.  Only you know what is best for your child.  My philosophy is don't fix anything that is not broken.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagehav2run:

My advice is to go ahead and buy the mattress if you can get a steal, and store it until he is ready for a bigger bed.  No need to rush into putting him into a strange situation.  I remember reading your posts recently about nap and bedtime.  Why not keep your toddler bed that he is finally ok with, and let him enjoy the security of it before having him change over?  I fear you might be setting yourself up for some sleepless nights again if you move him too soon.  You can always put the mattress on the floor for awhile to make it easier.  But having that much space to sleep might make him fearful while he is little.  Get the mattress, but give him time to enjoy his newish toddler bed before you change again.  Strictly my thoughts.  Only you know what is best for your child.  My philosophy is don't fix anything that is not broken.

I hadn't thought of storing it... not a bad idea.  Hmmm..  I'll have to keep that in mind.  Our toddler bed also converts to a full. 

• Options
    We switched DS right from his crib to a full.  We had a full in our guest room and were wanting to upgrade to a larger size for the guest room....so it just made sense.  He has a large bedroom, so space wasn't an issue.  He did great transitioning and is still doing great.  We put up double rails, but honestly I don't think he needs them.  Good luck in whatever you decide!
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I wanted a full for the same reasons you listed.  We were planning to build Ethan a full bed (his 4 in 1 crib got recalled - wasn't a drop side - boo!), but then recalled that DH had an old headboard that we painted and used his twin bed from growing up.  I'll probably keep Ethan in that through part of childhood and then we'll buy him a full.  If we didn't have the twin on hand that is what we would have done.

I completely agree with Becky and would store the mattress until you feel like he is ready for another transition!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"