Special Needs

Dev. Pedi. follow-up today...not a great visit...

So, after the Dr. was done checking Sophie over, I peeked at her chart before bringing it to the front desk, and saw her diagnosis's checked off.  Why is it always so hard to read it, even when you know there is something going on?  BUT I'm glad I read it and looked it up it b/c I have a better understanding :)

Anyway, he checked off a few things on the list: Dyspraxia Syndrome, aka Coordination Disorder, and Hypotonicity along with general Delayed Development.

As if that wasn't enough, he referred us to a nutritionist so we can "learn portion control" since she's short and her weight is overbearing her height, and he feels the weight might be holding her motor skills back.  She's 28 lbs and 32".  Not terrible!  I'm gonna run this past her reg. Pedi. at her check-up in a few weeks and see what they think.  DH is so upset/annoyed b/c everytime she goes to a Dr. for a follow-up shes always getting a referral for something else.  Thanks for reading!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dev. Pedi. follow-up today...not a great visit...

• my youngest has the same height/weight.  His gross motor is fine.  I'm sorry it was a tough appointment...
  • Thanks!  I'm feeling ok, but drained as you said!  Its been a long day of Dr.'s in general today...SIGH.  We go back in 6 months to see him again, but in the meantime I'm going to mention the dx to her therapists next week.  Her EI review is Nov. 16th and they are still pushing to get her into the school so I'm hoping that will help her along as well.  The Dev. Pedi always send a report to her reg. Pedi anyway so I can talk about it more with them at her appt on the 18th.  I'm guessing he is just saying this now since she is older and she's had more time to "catch up" so to speak Huh?  Oh, and I also recieved her annual progress notes in the mail today too for PT, ST, and OT so I could read them over in preparation for her review.  They all say 33% delay still.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks Auntie.  Its hard to hear your child is overweight :(  Especially since she was a Preemie and you try so hard to get them to gain weight!  So weird to go from one opposite to the other.  We'll see how her reg. Pedi feels and then take it from there. 
  • Well it does not change the fact that she is adorable. :)

Hang in there, mama. 

• My son also has Coordination Disorder.  It is tough to see it written.  When they gave us the diagnosis in August, we knew he was delayed but it is just hard to hear it from a professional.  Hugs!!!
    Baby #1: 19 cycles, failed IUI, and 1 + IVF 3-5-07
    Baby #2: 12 cycles, 1 failed FET, natural miracle but m/c at 9 weeks then another natural miracle that stuck! 9-30-09

TTC #3 - 4 cycles - no BFP yet!
  • imagehere4u:
    Thanks Auntie.  Its hard to hear your child is overweight :(  Especially since she was a Preemie and you try so hard to get them to gain weight!  So weird to go from one opposite to the other.  We'll see how her reg. Pedi feels and then take it from there. 

Have you ruled out genetic causes? My son has Prader-Willi syndrome and a lot of kids get diagnosed around your DD's age when their weight surpasses their height.  

• Have you ruled out genetic causes? My son has Prader-Willi syndrome and a lot of kids get diagnosed around your DD's age when their weight surpasses their height.  

She saw a genentisist and he said her height was just familial b/c DH & I and both sides of our families are short.  He said if the height was still a problem to come back in 4-5 months, but he wasn't concerned. Plus she has grown about 4" since she last saw him, and at the time we saw him she wasstuck at the same height for months so she did grow. I'm going to talk about all that again with her Pedi. at her check-up in a few weeks.

• imagehere4u:

Have you ruled out genetic causes? My son has Prader-Willi syndrome and a lot of kids get diagnosed around your DD's age when their weight surpasses their height.  

She saw a genentisist and he said her height was just familial b/c DH & I and both sides of our families are short.  He said if the height was still a problem to come back in 4-5 months, but he wasn't concerned. Plus she has grown about 4" since she last saw him, and at the time we saw him she wasstuck at the same height for months so she did grow. I'm going to talk about all that again with her Pedi. at her check-up in a few weeks.

Yeah, my point was more about her weight than her height. I personally would just check.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"