Hawaii Babies
Options

routine & sleeping - books?

I know I need to get DD on a routine, but I am just not sure how to do it.  Right now (while she is only 7 weeks) she is not really on a routine at all.  She goes to bed pretty much when we do (maybe a little earlier...around 10) & nurses around every 3 -4 hours.  We always bathe her, nurse & then put her down.  We have tried to do all of that earlier but it is like she knows it is only 7 & she won't have it.  During the day she nurses every 2 hours like clockwork.  She takes naps during the day but pretty much only when you are holding her (or she is in the moby).  I am not sure how to get her to go into her bassinet (or crib) for naps at a certain time.  I don't mind her lack of routine now b/c I am on maternity leave, but I don't want to make daycare or my return to work in January harder on her than it needs to be.

I remember some of you suggesting the EASY method a while back. Is this the book you followed?  https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Baby-Whisperer-Connect-Communicate/dp/0345440900

any other books you recommend?  or just other suggestions?

Thanks!

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: routine & sleeping - books?

• Options
    Hi, I posted about this exact thing when J was around 6 weeks old :)  I felt like I needed to put him on a routine as well.  Most of the replies said that he was still fairly young.  Plus most Moms have told me that he will let us know when it's time for bed and to watch for his signals; rubbing his eyes, yawning, etc.  Which is how they established their LO's bed time over a certain period.  Now that he's 8 weeks he is showing those signs and it's more clear when he needs to be put down at night for bed.  Having said that, we still don't have a solid routine as of yet but the later we put him down at night, like 10 or 11, he'll sleep for a longer stretch.  Speaking of longer stretches, he used to be up every hour but now he'll sleep for 2-3 hours at time, which in my books is a huge success :)
    I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did find "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" to be helpful.  I do recommend trying it out.

Henry sort of found his own routine, though it is definitely very flexible.  He also prefers to sleep in my arms, and I worried about daycare, too.  He seems to be doing fine napping there so far, though.  They swaddle him, and he'll sleep anywhere from 40 min. - 2 1/2 hours!  When we're home he'll nap much longer in my arms (2 - 2 1/2 hours), but he'll also go down in the crib for 45 minutes or so.

As far as bedtime goes, I kind of feel like he found his own time.  We were originally putting him down with us around 9-10ish.  But now he shows signs of being tired (mostly crankiness) starting at about 6:00. We do our bedtime routine (bath, massage/jammies, bottle, book) starting at around 7:00, an he's typically down for the count by 7:45 - 8:00.

Give it time....she'll find her own routine with a little encouragement from you soon enough.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsIH:
    Hi, I posted about this exact thing when J was around 6 weeks old :)

Nice!! Now that you say that...I remember!  (my brain is not what it used to be!) but I found your post & it did have a lot of good info.  Hopefully we can figure something out soon!

And thanks Leah...I actually just ran to Borders to get that book!

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Yes, Secrets of the Baby Whisperer has the E.A.S.Y. routine in it. Eat. Awake. Sleep. You-time. We started that around 2 months and it worked VERY well for us. We are now reading up in the Whisperer Toddler book...
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagemyday1708:
    Yes, Secrets of the Baby Whisperer has the E.A.S.Y. routine in it. Eat. Awake. Sleep. You-time.
    Yup. But we didn't follow it until a bit later (maybe around 3 months?) but it's working well for us now =)
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options

the previous post should help you...but i agree it's way too early.  at that point i felt like all she did was eat and sleep and maybe be awake for a few minutes before getting tired! i don't think you need to worry about routine until they start staying up for more than 1 hr at a time :)

FWIW we also did the EASY method for a while...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"