Hawaii Babies

Prenatal Vitamins

I have been taking a prenatal vitamin for awhile now.  I came across an article by Dr. Oz with a list of what my prenatal vitamin should contain.  I was disappointed when I read the side of my vitamins and realized that they didn't have anything close to his recommendations. Just wondered if you guys had any suggestions of a great prenatal vitamin for me.

Thanks!!!

Lindsey 

Re: Prenatal Vitamins

• I used to love Dr Oz and must admit I'm no longer a fan of the guy, he just rubs me the wrong way.

I had big time morning sickness this pregnancy and was hardly able to choke down water, let alone a prenatal vitamin. My OB suggested "take a flinestones vitamin instead" So I opted to do that. I've been doing it every since, when I was throwing up my normal prenatals, I would chew up a flinestones instead. I've since stuck with the flinestones because I know I can keep them down. I did TRY to go back to the normal prenatals when my morning sickness was better (around 16 weeks) but I had to take them at night or I would get sick. When I did that, I would wake up in the middle of the night with raging stomach ache and sick as a dog for 2-3 hours... so needless to say, I can't take the "normal" prenatals this pregnancy...

With Bella, I was able to take normal prenatals (Costco brand) in the morning every day just fine.  Goes to show you that each pregnancy is SO different! 

• I haven't compared my prenatals to any list, but I take Citranatal Assure which is a prescription (two pills - 1 is a multivitamin & 1 is a DNA supp).  I read Dr. Oz's "You Having a Baby" book & he recommended getting more DHA than was in my prenatal.  When I mentioned that to my OB, she said if I wanted (and could keep it down) to also take an Expecta each day.  I did that & had no problems (i did take it at a separate meal).

Hope this helps!

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • When I first started buying prenatals, I was taking 2 different gel tablets (I know what the bottle looks like but I'm sorry I don't remember the brand) to make up the recommended vitamins. They were tasteless and easy to swallow.

Then I saw the Whole Foods prenatal that had everything in one pill. I bought a giant 4 month supply. Problem is they are huge, taste horrible, and have an unpleasant aftertaste that stays with you. I have to take them right before I go to bed, because they upset my stomach. They are too expensive to dump, so I'm sticking it out. I can't wait to go back to the other less offensive tasting ones.

If you don't mind the one you're taking, maybe you can add a second that supplements whatever is missing. If you find a PNV that has everything, you might want to sample it first so you're not stuck trying to force them down.

• I took Perfect Prenatals by New Chapter (purchased them on Amazon), plus an additional folic acid supplement for my entire pregnancy.  They were recommended to me by a friend and I liked them.  There were no side effects...the only downside is that the dose is 3 pills a day.  So, I would just take one with each meal.  

The only downside is that they can be pretty pricey.  Once K was born and my Perfect Prenatals supply wore down, I switched to the Target brand of prenatals and they've been working fine.  The plus, is that it's only 1 pill a day! :) 

**a girl from Hawaii, living and driving in South India**

• I'm taking NatureMade w/DHA now for nursing since it was so fishy to me with my nausea that I couldn't bear to even open the bottle when I was pg =P So when I was pg, I took GNC's prenatal vitamin w/iron. It was two a day but it was way easier on my nausea. Then I would either eat a bowl of oatmeal with a tablespoon of flaxseed (for DHA) or take Expecta that day. DHA is not that important in the 1st tri though, so I never had any DHA until my 2nd-3rd tri. To make sure I got enough calcium aside from my prenatal, I also either took supplements or drank tons of milk & ate lots of yogurt & cheese.
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • I took and still take Walgreen's version of One A Day's PNV and DHA (two bottles with two different pills)...WAY cheaper than the brand name and the same potencies, etc.  The DHA is a softgel but the vitamin is a larger pill...doesn't bother me, but I know some people have issues swallowing vitamins.  They have no weird taste or anything though.

I also take a magnesium and calcium supplement and when I was PG needed to take an additional iron supplement as well.  I take my vitamins at night, which helps ease any upset stomach from them.

• I just take the Target brand PNV and take the Target brand DHA.  I take the DHA when I eat dinner and then my PNV before I fall asleep.  So far it's seemed to work well for me and has all the recommended nutrients needed.  My doctor said that would be fine for me to take.  It doesn't have a lot of calcium so I try to get at least 3 servings of calcium a day from my food intake. 

Have you seen your OB lately to see what the reccomend for you to take now while TTC?  Before I got PG, I had just purchased a new bottle of Women's One-A-Day so she told me to keep taking that and just add a 400 mcg of Folic Acid supplement.  Good luck in whatever you choose :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    | Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • imageMauiBride2008:

I just take the Target brand PNV and take the Target brand DHA.  I take the DHA when I eat dinner and then my PNV before I fall asleep.  So far it's seemed to work well for me and has all the recommended nutrients needed.  My doctor said that would be fine for me to take.  It doesn't have a lot of calcium so I try to get at least 3 servings of calcium a day from my food intake. 

This is what I was taking, and I brought the bottle into my OB's office at one of the appts for them to look at to make sure it contained what they wanted and it did.  So that's what I was taking.  I was bad at taking the DHA -  I had a hard time remembering to take it!

• did you ask your ob for samples? i got a bunch from them and it was great b/c some definitely had an after taste and gave me fishy burps...ewww!

since our insurance covers free prenatals i get the Prenate DHA vitamins. they are easy to swallow and have no fishy side effects! they were my favorite of all the samples i received

• my midwives said to take any of the OTC ones - didn't seem concerned about brand or specific ingredients - so I use nature made w/dha.  i like that they're gel caps (easier to get down, don't leave an aftertaste) and a little smaller than some of the other ones.  haven't had any tummy issues with them either.
  • Target sells a chewable PNV that includes the DHA/omegas (although a recent study has shown this doesn't help the baby any). They taste all right and I have no problem keeping them down. It has all the same ingredients as the One-a-Day PNV + DHA/omega...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"