NBR: Desperate for Dog help — The Bump
Seattle Babies

NBR: Desperate for Dog help

I am desperate. I need recommendations for dog trainers or dog training programs.

We rescued our dog Zoe in August but she has not been doing very well. She keeps going after Carter and nipping him, she even charges his face when he cries (like when I take something away from him), she barrels me over, and just a few minutes ago she pulled me down our grassy knoll when I was taking her out. I usually have Carter strapped on my back when I take Zoe out but thank goodness it's the weekend and he was inside with my H.

I need help. I don't want to just give up on her but we can't take much more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Desperate for Dog help

• What kind of Dog is he?

Find your local SPCA, they will have a free dog behaviorist to talk to

Then call your vet, talk to them, and if they can't help they can refer you to a dog behaviorist too.

Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • I'm happy to make a reccomendation for a trainer if you let me know where you live. I do not reccomend calling your vet for advice. Majority of vets have no education in behavior, they are usually just giving common advise which isn't always relevant. You could also go to www.apdt.com and do a zip code search for professional trainers in your area. Or you could check out www.dogsandstorks.com.

In my former life (pre baby) I was a pro dog trainer. You can send me an email if youd like but usually that type of behavior should be worked on in person and not via email. I'm happy to help where I can as I don't want to see you have to re-home your pup. (mamaugans yahoo). I'm more than happy to help advise you in the right direction.

imageVisit The Nest!
  • I live in the Kent/Des Moines area but am willing to travel if need be. I don't want to rehome her, she has her amazing moments where she just snuggles right up next to you, plays fetch well, and lets Carter play with her just fine but it's getting to the point where her negative behavior is outweighing her positive.
  • Oh she is a smooth collie/german shepard mix. Beautiful dog!
  •  She'd be a good place to start. I used to work with her. She's super nice. http://www.onegooddog.org/

imageVisit The Nest!
  • image ckmommy:
    Oh she is a smooth collie/german shepard mix. Beautiful dog!

Look into herding lessons. Appropriate and great outlet for her energy. You don't have to turn into one of the crazy competitive women, but it's really fun.

imageVisit The Nest!
  • I'd also like to recommend Melissa Lynch of Mountain High Dog Training....she worked with us when we adopted our (nervous nelly) shelter dog - and gave us advice pre-baby.
  • We have a GS/Collie mix and she nips too. She's all teeth but DH and I do not ever let her get that far. We kennel trained her and fully fenced our backyard and in the beginning she was never unsupervised with him (I doubt you do but it's just what we did). We also built an ugly gate between our kitchen and living room where we would restrict her as well. The gate and kennel training were life savers.  We also clicker trained her. She is highly food motivated and we trained her with bits of cheese. I highly recommend going to a good training. It was an eye opening thing for us and well worth the $$. We are pro positive reinforcement and redirecting her to her kennel (which is her safe spot) when she is getting a little rowdy. Now all we say is "Kennel" and she goes in with the door open and lays down for a few minutes. We also think that now that she is closer to 2 she has calmed down. 

German shepards are quite smart and like to work as do collies. It is a high energy mix. Molly is much better when she has things to do like lots of walks (ideal is two short ones and one long one a day), frisbee in the backyard, frozen kongs (she can't have regular toys because she destroys them all in about 5 minutes, and puzzle feeders. She also is really needy of attention. Sounds like a lot of work but we have been consistant with her for about a year. She is MUCH better. 

I'm no dog trainer, but I can fully relate. If you put the time into now you'll save yourself a lot of frustration in the end. 

Tracey Mom to Logan and Liam
    I live for those smiles!
  • image StellaZ:
    I'd also like to recommend Melissa Lynch of Mountain High Dog Training....she worked with us when we adopted our (nervous nelly) shelter dog - and gave us advice pre-baby.

She used to work with the other trainer I suggested and I at the same time several years back. I like her too but I think she's still in Duvall.

imageVisit The Nest!
  • We used Jeff Tinsley after our rescue bit me.  He came to our house and worked with us.  It was really important for him to come to us, so he could see Frankie in his own atmosphere, with us, with the other animals, etc.  The techniques he taught we still use today and they are especially important now that we have Lucy.  

We also found that obedience classes were extremely useful, but they won't help you resolve the nipping.  You'll definitely want a behaviorist for that.

Also, remember that you've only had the dog for a few months, it took us a good 2 years before Frankie really settled down with us and began to trust that we were his forever family.

http://www.soundanimals.com/index.html

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Little Sister is on her way!!
  • Thank you all for your suggestions! I will be looking into them and hopefully we will find something/someone that will help. I know it's only been a few months but when she rushed Carter yesterday and nipped his nose I decided we needed to do something. Yes I love her, but I also need to protect my baby.

We have been doing the clicker along with treat rewards but I think her whole nipping thing is a behavior trait that we need to break in another way. My H is giving me until the end of the year for her to make progress so hopefully we can do that.

• image ckmommy:

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will be looking into them and hopefully we will find something/someone that will help. I know it's only been a few months but when she rushed Carter yesterday and nipped his nose I decided we needed to do something. Yes I love her, but I also need to protect my baby.

We have been doing the clicker along with treat rewards but I think her whole nipping thing is a behavior trait that we need to break in another way. My H is giving me until the end of the year for her to make progress so hopefully we can do that.

I just wanted to add, that our behaviorist gave us some instant insight into things that we (mostly I) were doing that were exacerbating Frankie's bad behavior. So, some immediate changes on my part really made a big difference in his behavior quite quickly.

It was really hard work at first (and sometimes scary), but seeing the results so quickly was very rewarding for all of us.

So, there is definitely hope!  I completely understand the feeling of wanting to help your pup but also protect your child.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Little Sister is on her way!!
  • Puppy Manners is AMAZING!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards