School-Aged Children

Vent: Bad teacher conf. today.

We had one good one and one not so good one. My K is doing extremely well. We love his teacher and think she makes all the difference. 

My 2nd grader has been bombing this year. I cried through his whole thing. He is in the highly capable program in our district which is FANTASTIC and he is putting in zero effort. He is "too chatty" and "can't sit still" (this was brought up because she is genuinely concerned about his safety) and he has been getting like 10/15 on spelling tests and failing to read directions so he's been getting a lot of work wrong. Homework has been a nightmare and he has just been so unplugged. She says he is unable to sit in his chair nor is his desk organized at all. She left their desks the way they left them today and he had crap everywhere. We have been having other issues with him at home. He is completely disrespectful and lying all the time. I just picked up the Love and Logic book for school-age kids (at the teacher suggestion so we can give the responsibility back to him) and we had a huge discussion at dinner. He's a kid who clams up and starts to just tell you what you want to hear so we need to back off sometimes and let him open up.  It wasn't all negative. He still excels in Math but sheesh... The amazing thing is that this teacher really does love having my son. Nothing she said was in anyway hurtful or attacking. It was the truth. 

It was just a bad conference. Blargh!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Vent: Bad teacher conf. today.

• Maybe he is overwhelmed being in that program and he is compensating by acting out.

• imagemhwood:

Maybe he is overwhelmed being in that program and he is compensating by acting out.

This isn't his first year there and he actually enjoys the workload. Between his test scores and his personality, taking him out is not an option. Believe me, putting him in there was a well researched and thought out desicion. The teacher never once question him being in there. It is more about his attitude towards it. It's like "I'll do this as quick as possible and nobody will notice". I know where some of the problem originated. My youngest started K this year and has a lot of attention/focus on him and his big step. I work FT too so between all of the craziness, I think we haven't been giving him the time he needs. Time to buckle down. I knew it was going on at home but I didn't know how it had been at school until today. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If you didn't have pictures up I would swear you were talking about my SS. It is the exact same story but we had it in 3rd-4th grade. He is in 6th grade now and is back on board with school. GL! I don't know if we did the right things but he spent many evenings in his room for lying and we watched his grades/homework/emailed the teacher regularly till he showed he would be more responsible.
  • It sounds like he has a great teacher, though.  That is so important!  Hopefully things will straighten out soon. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • You should look into a book called "the nurtured heart approach" by howard glasser.  It is amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"