Multiples

Chance of becoming pg w/ twins after having twins?

After loosing one of my fraternal twins I have been pretty down in the dumps. My mom works with a woman who has two sets of fraternal twins. When she was talking to her about my whole situation on lunch break yesterday she told my mom that her doctor warned her after having her first fraternal set of twins that her chance of having them again increased to something crazy like 97%. And low and behold, her next pregnany she was pregnant with fraternal tiwns.

So my question to y'all is (because my midwifes office is closed lol) how true is this? I know fraternal means I drop two eggs which is probably caused by hyperovulation, so I'm assuming it has to be somewhat factual. I would love to have the chance to actually carry twins again. Just wondering - thanks ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

Re: Chance of becoming pg w/ twins after having twins?

• i have read that you are 5x more likely than the avg person to have twins if you have had them before....

I'm so sorry about the loss of your baby.  Losing a twin is especially hard I would think - esp if people act like you should just be happy you still have one... which is crazy b/c you still LOST one - and that is sad.

But really- just try to focus on your pg now - and don't get wrapped around the idea of twins- b/c if next time it's not - you don't want to have added disappointment to that special moment.  Hopefully after your baby is born and you experience motherhood you'll feel better about it all - and be thrilled ot have a singleton next time - or twins... whatever is in God's plan for you.  (((HUGS))). 

• imageGoldie_Locks_5:

i have read that you are 5x more likely than the avg person to have twins if you have had them before....

I'm so sorry about the loss of your baby.  Losing a twin is especially hard I would think - esp if people act like you should just be happy you still have one... which is crazy b/c you still LOST one - and that is sad.

But really- just try to focus on your pg now - and don't get wrapped around the idea of twins- b/c if next time it's not - you don't want to have added disappointment to that special moment.  Hopefully after your baby is born and you experience motherhood you'll feel better about it all - and be thrilled ot have a singleton next time - or twins... whatever is in God's plan for you.  (((HUGS))). 

Thank you for your kind words. It is so hard continuing with one healthy baby knowing that you lost a baby. God has given me so much strength and I thank Him for each blessing He has given me.

The only reason I asked this question was because it was fresh on my mind. My mom is on a roadtrip down to visit family in Florida so while talking to her she told me about her coworker. Don't get me wrong, a piece of me is hoping and praying that next time I will get the chance to carry twins but at the same time, I know how blessed I am to be able to even carry one baby!! It's somewhat of a comforting fact as odd as it seems to think "okay, not this time but maybe next time". Plus I was just trying to confirm if this was a fact or myth.

• Loading the player...
  • I've found conflicting information on a woman's chances of having a second set of spontaneous fraternal twins so I'm not sure what the real number is. It's definitely higher than average. Remember that even if it's 5 times the average person's chance, that puts your chances at something like 15%, so you're still more likely to have a singleton. At any rate, I'm so sorry for your loss and pray that the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Just writing to let you know I am in the same boat. I lost a fraternal twin baby around 10 weeks and for some reason, it still affects me. I am happy to have a healthy singleton, but I definitely think about her twin. When we get pregnant again, I will be thrilled. But its always in the back of my mind-- will it happen again?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageslukd79:
    Just writing to let you know I am in the same boat. I lost a fraternal twin baby around 10 weeks and for some reason, it still affects me. I am happy to have a healthy singleton, but I definitely think about her twin. When we get pregnant again, I will be thrilled. But its always in the back of my mind-- will it happen again?

This is me exactly except I lost my LO's twin at 11 weeks.  I will say that when I first lost LO's twin, I prayed and prayed that next time I would have twins again.  I've come to realize that even if that happened, it wouldn't replace the baby I lost, so I'm just hopeful to have another healthy baby.  I do wonder what my chances of twins are, but my desire for twins is much more diminished than when my loss was fresh.  OP, I'm sorry for your loss :(

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I am pregnant with my 2nd set twins! I had identical girls 14yrs ago and I am having fraternal this time around (boy/girl). So....anything is possible!
  • I had my first set of fraternal twins about 14 years ago, and lost them at 20 and 21 weeks due to incompetent cervix.  I had twins again seven years ago, and felt so blessed.  I wasn't expecting that at all, and with a cerclage, everything went great.  And now, I am pregnant with fraternal twins again, so my third set of fraternal twins.   Again, I wasn't expecting it, and am nervous, but feel very blessed.    So sorry for your loss.  It hurts so bad, and you are in my thoughts. 
  • imagehilwithonelary:

imageslukd79:
    Just writing to let you know I am in the same boat. I lost a fraternal twin baby around 10 weeks and for some reason, it still affects me. I am happy to have a healthy singleton, but I definitely think about her twin. When we get pregnant again, I will be thrilled. But its always in the back of my mind-- will it happen again?

This is me exactly except I lost my LO's twin at 11 weeks.  I will say that when I first lost LO's twin, I prayed and prayed that next time I would have twins again.  I've come to realize that even if that happened, it wouldn't replace the baby I lost, so I'm just hopeful to have another healthy baby.  I do wonder what my chances of twins are, but my desire for twins is much more diminished than when my loss was fresh.  OP, I'm sorry for your loss :(

I sadly lost my Baby B when I was approximately 9weeks pregnant but did not find out until I was 12weeks along. I am still so heartbroken. It is so comforting to know that there are other women out there who have gone through the same situation because I know there is hope that hings will get easier. I'm just dreading the "what if" thoughts once LO does arrive. And like you, I also hope and pray that I will get the chance to successfully carry twins again in the future. I understand that it will never replace the baby I lost, and as I've mentioned prior that I know I am so blessed to have a singleton. But a piece of me yearns for twins and I am really wondering what my chances are for having them again because at the same time I am so nervous that I will have to go through this again.

Thank you all for your kind words and knowledge on teh subject. I go see the high risk doctor on Tuesday for my anatomy scan and I will deffinitely ask them while I'm there and I will have to let you know what they say!

• imagejannymcg:
    I had my first set of fraternal twins about 14 years ago, and lost them at 20 and 21 weeks due to incompetent cervix.  I had twins again seven years ago, and felt so blessed.  I wasn't expecting that at all, and with a cerclage, everything went great.  And now, I am pregnant with fraternal twins again, so my third set of fraternal twins.   Again, I wasn't expecting it, and am nervous, but feel very blessed.    So sorry for your loss.  It hurts so bad, and you are in my thoughts. 

WOW! Three sets of fraternal twins! That truly is incredible! Your DH must have flipped out wach time you found out it was twins - I know mine did. I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss and my heart goes out to you. But I am so happy to hear that you had two sets of take-home twins - that is such a blessing! I felt so blessed to be a MoM for those short nine weeks and would love to have my own set of take-home-twins one day if it's in my future.

Just wondering if your doctor warned you about having higher chances of having fraternal twins after your first set?

• OP, that is heart-breaking. :( I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but there's an organization called the Center for Loss in Multiple Birth (CLIMB) that might be a helpful resource as you work through the complicated emotions of losing a twin. I would imagine that compounds the grieving process, because you're grieving the loss of a baby but also of the unique twin experience for your child and for you as a parent, as well as because you are grieving while also celebrating the new life that is growing inside of you. www.climb-support-org is CLIMB's website.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"