Multiples
Options

Talk To Me About Reflux

I am heading to the pedi  this morning with DS. We feel he may have reflux. We changed from the Neosure to regular Enfamil this past week. He has always been very fussy after feedings, but this week has been awful. He shrieks, arches during feedings and is just miserable. Sometimes it takes 2 hours after each feeding to get him back down and comfortable. I feel terrible for him. For those of you dealing with reflux, did they prescribe Zantac? Did it help?

How does a doctor diagnose Reflux? Just by asking me questions, etc? I am anxious to see what they say.

TIA! 

Re: Talk To Me About Reflux

• Options

reflux is generally dx'd by a doc Rx'ing meds and seeing if it works... even if the first meds don't work- sometimes a 2nd med will do the job... there are a few types of meds to help with reflux that are used in babies.

my son's reflux was helped by Zantac 3x's a day... if he missed a dose he was miserable again... so doses really make a difference (how much, how often, etc) so sometimes a doc will play with doses before trying a new med.

if the meds don't work - they will sometimes work with changing formula. Formula issues can mimic reflux.

if your regular pedi doesn't seem to help well- see a pedi GI.  Some regular pedis are not that familiar with reflux... some are.  i used to sell Prevacid and called on pedis and GI's - it's amazing how much some do now, don't know, etc.

good luck. reflux is miserable- esp with twins.

• Options

Thanks for the input. I am anxious to hear what the doctor says. Oddly, my husband just did a feeding and it went fine. DS was very calm, no arching and ate slowly (we just switched over Dr. Brown bottles yesterday). But last night he was miserable. So not quite sure....

My nephew had reflux and it was a nightmare for my sister. I hope the doctor can give us some guidance.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our dr diagnosed both our boys with reflux based on our description of their symptoms and some soft signs she noticed. She Rx'ed Zantac and it did help. In retrospect, we probably should've tried a different med for Will after a while b/c while the Zantac helped, he had some other issues that in retrospect were probably a result of his reflux not being fully controlled.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Thanks. I hope something will be prescribed for his discomfort. How long did they have issues? Is this something they "outgrow" at a certain age? I assume all babies are different though.
  • Options

Riley had reflux.  It was hell until we got it under control.  Sadly, it took a 3 day hospital stay at 6 weeks old (for a "seizure" that was actually a reflux attack though no one would listen to me, the baastards) and several doctors before she was finally properly diagnosed.  She ended up needing to see a pedi GI because hers was pretty bad.  Zantac didn't do shiit for her, regardless of the dosage and timing of it.  Prevacid was her miracle in disolvable pill form.  She was also on Reglan because even on Prevacid she was still spitting up all.the.time. though at least the Prevacid made it not hurt anymore.

Luckily, with as horrible as it was in the beginning, she outgrew it pretty quickly.  We were able to wean her off the Reglan around 6 months old, and the Prevacid about a month later. 

• Options
    Ugh, your experience sounds horrible. I am glad to hear she outgrew it! We were prescribed Zantac, so we'll see. The poor guy needs some relief (and so does his mama).
  • Options
    My boys both outgrew their reflux right around 12m. Most babies outgrow it earlier than that though; for some it's when they start sitting up and/or are on solid foods, so around 6-7m or so.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

One of my daughter's was diagnosed with reflux when she was in the NICU at 7 days old and they sent her home on Zantac.  It seems to be the first step for docs, and a tool they use for diagnosing AR.  For her it helped some, but they grow so quickly and Zantac is dosed based on weight, so she kept outgrowing the dose frequently.  At 17 days old we had a really scary experience and realized that she had reflux related apnea when she would stop breathing.  She was hospitalized for this and transitioned to Prilosec, and Zantac just before bed.  This never really worked for her.  The first time we saw a response to the meds was when she was put on Prevacid.  We had some issues with the compounded liquid version, and they finally started her on Prevacid Solutabs at 4 months.  This has been the absolute best for us.  

My daughter also has MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance) also, so she had some similar and different issues symptoms, and once we got the reflux under control, we were able to get her on the right formula and she is finally happy and healthy and doing better than she ever has.

I've found a ton of great information on www.refluxrebels.com.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options
    One of my DD has reflux and we were prescribed zantac..it has been a big help, but every once in awhile they have to up the does...you can usually tell when she is ready for it because she won't eat as good and starts to get fussy during feedings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"