Natural Birth
Options

Heating Pad

Is this going to be okay to take/use when in labor? I rely on my heating pad for my back pain, and it works oh so well.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Our baby site: Baby Cragg

Re: Heating Pad

• Options
    The birth class I just attended last weekend suggested a rice sock for heat.  You can buy them or make one by filling a long tube sock with rice.  It can be microwaved or heated in a crock pot.  Its holds heat for a good 30-40 min and you can move around without needing an outlet to plug it in.  Also, it is less radiation because your not using electricity.
  • Options

imageAud&Shad777:
    The birth class I just attended last weekend suggested a rice sock for heat.  You can buy them or make one by filling a long tube sock with rice.  It can be microwaved or heated in a crock pot.  Its holds heat for a good 30-40 min and you can move around without needing an outlet to plug it in.  Also, it is less radiation because your not using electricity.

The only downside to the rice sock is that it smells.  I have tried and tried, but can't use one because it makes me want to vomit! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe you could try the gel kind that you break the thing in the middle and it heats up- wrap it in some fabric so you can put it on your skin. That way you wouldn't need the outlet, and it wouldn't smell.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Some alternatives to the 'rice sock' could be adding a scent, like lavender. Or maybe there are other innards that don't smell funny to you. My girlfriend makes hers with buckwheat hulls, and I bet there are other options, too.

• Options
    I agree with pp about the rice sock.  I loved it, it feels so much better than a heating pad because your partner can roll it up and down your back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"