Multiples

Night feeding question (2 month old twins)

I am so exhausted these days and am hoping my babies start STTN soon - or at least sleeping 4+ straight hours.  But so far, no luck.

We keep them on a 3 hour schedule during the day and they take in around 4-5oz each time.  At bedtime they usually take in the same and start to fall asleep in our arms, so we put them in their cribs before they fall asleep.

I have noticed that they are getting closer to sleeping longer stretches but they are still waking up every 3 - 3.5 hours or so.  When we give them their bottles (formula) when they wake at night, they only take about 2oz and then fall into a deep sleep in our arms and we can't even wake them to get them to burp (which is another issue since DS has really bad gas and this leads to gas pain in the middle of the night).  Usually this happens for both night feedings (usually around midnight and 3am). 

So do you think both feedings are necessary in the middle of the night or no?  I am thinking that if they are eating so little both times, that maybe we can (hopefully) cut one out.  Maybe they are waking not because they are hungry but just because and they need a paci or a quick belly rub.  I am not sure. 

Has anyone experienced this with their babies?  Did you end up cutting out a feeding and if so, how did you go about doing it? 

TIA (from a super sleep deprived and slightly cranky MoM!)

BFP July 09 - m/c Aug 09
BFP Nov 09 - c/p Dec 09
BFP Dec 09 - A&J born in August 2010 at 37w, 6d
BFP Sept 11 - ectopic pregnancy/left tube removed
BFP April 12 - E born December 2012 at 39w, 1d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Night feeding question (2 month old twins)

• We were having the same thing happen with our 2 month old twins too. This week I started just giving them the paci when they woke up and waited a few mins before running to get the bottle and they both fell back to sleep. 3 nights this week they both slept 6 hrs! They only take about 3-4.5oz every 3-4 hrs during the day but the first and last bottle of the day DD takes 5 and DS takes 6. My DS also has a problem burping then waking up with bad gas or spitting up hours later. We try to just pull the bottle out every few mins while feeding and burping him. There are times that after a bottle it takes 20 mins to get a burp out of him but if we dont he ends up spitting up a little while later. Try just giving them the paci when they wake and wait it out a little while before feeding them. I assumed if they woke up crying that meant they were hungry but this whole week if they woke I would be able to get atleast another 30mins-2hrs out of them just by giving them the paci. Good Luck!
  • I agree with trying giving them just the paci for one of their wakings to see if they're really hungry or just waking up. I think that's about the age my boys were when they shifted to 4-hr feeding cycles and just one nighttime feeding so it might be happening for your LOs.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you try to keep them up to get them to take a little more?  Try tickling their feet or massaging in between their shoulder blades.  My girls started sleeping from 6:30-7 until about 12-12:30 at 11 weeks and they'd wake at about 4am and be up for the day at 6:30-7...but they took full bottles for both feedings...I thought this was great at that age, but it never changed up till about a week ago when we got them down to 1 bottle...but even with that we have to go in and replace pacifers and soothe sometimes
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • are you positive they are hungry? sometimes ours will wake up...cry out and go right back to sleep. We usually give them a few minutes to see what they are going to do. If it is a full out, 'i am not happy with you' type of cry...we usually know they are hungry.

They are too young to stop the night feedings....not until 6 months are baby's able to sttn without eating and even then that depends on the baby.

Is there anyway they will eat more during the day? I have found with our guys...Jakob usually eats 5oz every 3-3.5hours but once he is ready for bed, he usually eat 7oz =0 and he has sttn past week. He eats about 28-32oz total during day. Kaleb wakes once at night for a full bottle..he goes to sleep about 8:30 and usually wakes during the 3:00 hour for a full bottle. He is having some reflux issues so he doesn't eat as much during day that Jakob does but he does get cereal in bottle so that is adding some calories. But when Kalebs reflux wasn't acting up and he was eating close to 30oz during day he was sttn also....

good luck! I am sure you are tired but hang in there!!! hopefully it will get better soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I forgot to mention that we do go in and give them a paci if they wake up and it usually works, but only for 20 minutes or so and then it is spit out and the fussing/crying begins again.  One time I gave DS his paci, then went to warm a bottle and when I came back he was back asleep so I went to lay back down and woke up an hour later...if only it would work like that every night!

Thanks for the tips... I will keep trying and hopefully one of these nights they will surprise me!

BFP July 09 - m/c Aug 09
    BFP Nov 09 - c/p Dec 09
    BFP Dec 09 - A&J born in August 2010 at 37w, 6d
    BFP Sept 11 - ectopic pregnancy/left tube removed
    BFP April 12 - E born December 2012 at 39w, 1d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My twins are about 2 weeks older than yours.  I have them on a three hour eating schedule as well, sort of on demand but if I will feed them early if they need it or let them go no longer than 4 hours.  They eat at approx, 7, 10, 1, 3, 7.  The usually fall asleep for the night around 8pm.  My H and I "dream feed" them around 10:30-11pm.  We place them in their cribs and they usually go until 3 or 4am.  They take a full feeding (4oz).  Then back to sleep until 7 or 8am.  I always feed them at night since they finish and I think they need the ounces. 

GL!  I hope you get some relief soon. 

My singleton was horrible about sleeping and woke up every 2 hours until he was 9 months and I did full-on CIO.  So this is a dream to me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did a 3 hour schedule also-- loosely followed Baby Wise because in the beginning we had to feed them EVERY 3 hours no matter what because they weren't gaining enough weight.

Around 7 weeks we did our last night feeding, which was 10 or 11 pm, and then we would just let them sleep as long as they could, then feed.  We found that they woud sleep a 4 to 5 hour stretch. 

Also- it's not true that babies can't sleep through the night until 6 months old.  My girls were STTN around 13 weeks for a few weeks.  Now that we put them down for bed earlier (at 7:30), they wake up once a night.  But they wake up around 4 or 5 am, eat , then back to bed.  If we were still doing that 10 or 11 pm feed ,they would be sleeping through the night!  Goldie's babies STTN at 8 weeks ,and so have other babies.

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My babies are 12 weeks now, and although I feed on demand and didn't try anything special to cut out a feeding, they really started going longer on their own around 9 weeks, and weeks 10-12 have been sooooo much better.  Most nights, they are getting up once between 7 and 5 or so, and they went straight through once.     Hang in there, and they may give you the longer stretches you need very soon. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"