Nurseries and Baby Gear

Recommend your ear or arm thermometer

I know that rectal thermometers are the best, but I honestly cannot do it (tried with DD, and couldn?t stick that thing up there).  I had a very accurate thermometer with her, but it takes a long time to get a reading.  Therefore, I would like to purchase a better one this time around.  I tried looking through the reviews online, but none of the thermometers are getting good reviews.  Which one are you using/registering for?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Recommend your ear or arm thermometer

• I personally do not like ear thermometers at all.  We have one, my son was running a temp of 104-105 and it read him at 97???  WTF!!  It was a Graco one that my husband paid $20 for.  I have never liked it and will not use it again.  I took his temp several times that day with it because I thought I'd done something wrong and nope, every time it would read him in the high 90s even though we knew he had a very temp.

My favorite is the Vicks thermometer, it can be used under arm, mouth or rectally.  It is about $12 I think.  It is very fast, you get a reading in 8 seconds, just read the directions because when you do it under the arm you lose about a degree so whatever temp you get under the arm you must add 1 degree to it for accuracy.

Booze, it's what's for dinner imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birth - 7 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches 1 Month - 9 lbs., 5 oz, 21 inches 2 Months - 11 lbs., 4.5 oz, 23 inches 4 Months - 14 lbs, 1 oz, 26.5 inches 6 months - 16 lbs, 1 oz, 28.75 inches 9 months - 18 lbs, 6 oz, 29.25 inches 1 Year - 21 lbs, 6 oz, 31 inches 2 Years - 28 lbs., 37 inches
  • Thanks!  I never tried an ear thermometer, so thanks for telling me your experience.  Taking DD's temp underarm worked well for us. As you mentioned, it was about a degree off, but I knew that so it was easy to read her temp.  DD is exactly like my husband in that when she gets a temp her entire body is burning hot (I'm the opposite, I get chills).  If the temp on the thermomenter would have been 90 anything, I would have known it was trash immediately!

• Loading the player...
  • We love our ear thermometer and never had a problem with accuracy.  In fact, it's the same one that our pedi uses- even on newborns.  The Braun Thermoscan-

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-Thermoscan-Thermometer-ExacTemp-Technology/dp/B001FWXKMM:

• my sis recommended a temperal thermometer to me.
  • My brother got the Honeywell Vicks Forehead thermometer and it seemed to work really good.  He wasn't happy with his ear thermometer.  It was so easy to use and get a good reading.
  • imageslwprincess:

We love our ear thermometer and never had a problem with accuracy.  In fact, it's the same one that our pedi uses- even on newborns.  The Braun Thermoscan-

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-Thermoscan-Thermometer-ExacTemp-Technology/dp/B001FWXKMM:

We have this one and I really like it. Like the OP, I have a hard time taking a rectal temp and this one at least gives me a good idea of what my LO's temps are. My oldest DS has a curved ear canal, so I have to put the thermometer in at a weird angle, but so long as I do that, I get a pretty accurate read.

• imageslwprincess:

We love our ear thermometer and never had a problem with accuracy.  In fact, it's the same one that our pedi uses- even on newborns.  The Braun Thermoscan-

We have this one as well and I hate it. Never ever once have I been able to get it to read...it always gives me an error message about positioning it. The reading comes out as POS. Yeah...I think the thing is a POS. 

But after reading the review above, I am wondering if we have a defective thermometer. 7 different family members have tried to use it and on our DD and each other and every single one failed.

Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"