Two Under 2

Separate rooms, or share a room & have a playroom?

We have 2 BR's for the boys -- right now Aidan and Cooper each have their own rooms. Toys and clutter are overtaking my living room and I am dying for a playroom! Aidan is still in his crib, sleeps 11-12 hours a night and takes 1 nap/day, usually 1.5-3 hrs. Cooper is in his crib now, and naps 3-4 times a day in his swing (also in his room where it's quiet). In the past 5 nights, he has STTN for 12 hours 4 out of the 5 nights, so I think we're on our way there. When he's a bit older, I was thinking of putting them in the same BR and making Cooper's BR now the playroom. Or should I not mess with a good thing in terms of sleep? Which would you do and why?
Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12

Re: Separate rooms, or share a room & have a playroom?

• I just mentioned this very same idea to DH a couple days ago!

I wouldn't do it at the age your boys are at now. In the coming months, their schedules might not exactly match up, and it could make things difficult. In fact, we kind of decided against it even at the age our boys are currently (1 1/2 and 2 1/2). They are on the same schedule (naps and bedtime), but I don't want to mess with a good thing right now and have them start talking to each other and not sleeping. Plus, I'm okay with my living room being a play room for this short little while. :)

However, down the road (if we're still living here), we will most likely make that change. I'm thinking once they are a little older and both in regular beds. Then their bedroom will just have their beds/dressers, and most of the toys from the living room/playroom can move to the other bedroom as a play room.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • I wouldnt mess with a good thing. 

I wouldnt move my kids in together until they are both in regular beds.

We have toys all over, but just went through some and donated in preparation for christmas. We also take some and rotate them into the attic so they are new and fun when I take them out after a month or so. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We put our girls in the same room from the time our DD#2 was 4 months old  (DD#1 was 21 months).  We had a rough few nights at the beginning but they very rapidly settled into a routine and got used to having the other one share the room.  My feeling was that at a younger age they need less space so I was going to take advantage of them sharing a room for as long as possible.  Now that I'm pregnant with #3 and in a smaller house than before we're even contemplating putting the 3rd child in the same room as them.  
  • I wouldnt do it b/c I would have anxiety about them waking each other up during bedtimes/naps. DS is a bad sleeper though.
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • keep it as is for now.  my kids HAVE to share a room.  we've converted the dining room into a play room.  it's better now that they're sleeping on somewhat same schedules, but it was hard those 1st 6 mos or so w/ them waking each other up all the time.   
  • Our living room doubles as a play room. We found some nice storage units with canvas totes at target. I also have a small bookshelf for their books. Some of the bigger stuff has to sit on the floor. It's a mess when the kids are playing, but once we put everything away it's not that bad! You can get creative with storage (coffee table that you can put baskets underneath, an ottoman in the living room that you can put things inside, etc). We don't have a separate dining room, otherwise that wuold be the playroom!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"