Toddlers: 24 Months+

Babysitter advice needed

We have never had anyone except for family watch DD.  We just moved to a new area and the neighbors have a 16 year old daughter.  I've spoken with her mom and her a few times and they seem very nice.  They live right next door and the mom and dad are usually home in the evenings.  She has 2 younger siblings and seems pretty responsible and said she babysits frequently.  What kind of questions would you ask?  How do you handle letting someone new watch your child?  Also, how much do you usually pay per hour (we're thinking it will probably be for about 3 hours on a weekend evening)?  Thanks! 

ETA: forgot that I don't have a ticker anymore!  DD will be 2 next month.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Babysitter advice needed

• Do a meet and greet and see how she interacts with your child. I paid 7$/hr for a 26 yr old to watch DD, she drove over here, which was awesome. Now that I have 2 kids I do 8$/hr.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did a meet and greet play time and since it went well we have had a sitter come a few times.  It was really hard for me to leave DD with someone besides family. We pay about $15/hour, but she has a MA in elementary education.  I think it really depends on the area that you live in. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I pay my teenage babysitters minimum wage.  I know them really well from church.  If I didn't I would probably have them come over for a trial run to see how they interact and get to know them.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • We have the teenage neighbor girls watch DS all the time.  I would just see how they interact.  It's great that her parents are right next door too.  It's only 3 hours...they will play and (in our case-put DS to bed).  We pay well about 10$ an hour-this way we figure it will be worth their while to babysit and they will say yes most of the time!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"