Adoption
Options

16 and Pregnant - Adoption Blog

One of the girls from this years 16 and pregnant has a blog from the beginning of her pregnancy through adoption.

https://ashleydsalazar.com

It's interesting to read about the adoption journey from a birthmother's perspective.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 16 and Pregnant - Adoption Blog

• Options

I read that entire blog.

The one thing that really struck me was the importance of counseling.

• Options

Reading through this right now... Really powerful stuff.  I feel like this blog, or one like it, should be required reading for all PAPs.  It's really easy (at least for me) to lose perspective on what the birthmoms go through.  After years of infertility, I feel so desperate to be a momma, and so hopeful that adoption will be the answer, that I haven't given NEARLY enough thought to what it will mean emotionally for the birthmom of my baby-to-be. 

And you're so right, Dr.L - Counseling is crucial.

*TTC since February 08* 2 IUIs that didn't take, exploratory LAP and hysterscopy in September 2010 that revealed nothing, means we're adopting! Preliminary paper work to agency & started home study in 11/10 Profiles to agency on 1/12/11 - Officially waiting! First home study visit scheduled for 1/29/11 Matched (Eek!) on 1/24/11 *Sweet baby boy born on 1/26/11* Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I finally just finished reading the blog, and it has really put into perspective, the birth parent side of adoption.  Like Dr. L said, counseling is soooo important, and not just before the adoption, but after as well.  I also like that she spoke with her Aunt and Uncle and realized that they were hurting too.  It's so important for both sides to understand how eachother feels.

Just makes me think of our BM, who we've never met, and who doesn't want any contact right now because it's just too hard.  I really hope that she isn't having some of the thoughts the BM on the blog is having, because it makes me very sad for being so happy to have my DD to love, and that any BM has to feel that way.

I'm just sad, but it gives me a new prespective, which I'm grateful for.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for sharing this.  If you haven't thought through it before, it is a good thing to do.  I think I border on thinking about it too much.  Adoptions has been so emotionally exhausting for us.  I'm so concerned about the BM but also trying to protect our hearts yet still be ready for an amazing life changing event.  Sometimes I feel like I just can't do it!

We are forming a great relationship with the BM we are working with now and I'm so very happy for that.  I think we've both thought through how the other side feels and are respectful of that.  Still, after all we've been through with failed placements in the past, I'm so scared!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"