Multiples
Options

Birth Plan

So when I first found out I was pregnant I had all these ideas of what I wanted out of the birth.  Well, when we found out with twins I figured I had to throw most of that out the window.

I still would like to try and avoid a C-section- obviously possible reasons for this being necessary go up.  I would like to avoid being induced, again I know this could happen, and I am ok with that.  

The one thing I am still thinking a lot about is the epi.  If I do need an emergency C section I beleive its best to have one so they don't have to put me out, is this correct?

I wonder if its possible to have a light dose or something.

Does any of this sound reasonable.  Did you guys even bother having a birth plan?  My MIL thought it was a good idea bc with one of her deliverys they said she said she didn't want drugs (which she did) and another she apparantly said she wanted a spinal instead of an epi.... So she thought writing down what you would like is a great idea.

Thoughts???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Birth Plan

• Options

You can have a very light-dose epidural.  I had a completely natural birth with our 2nd singleton and wanted the same with the girls, but my doctors felt better about having an epidural at least placed, in case there was a need for an emergency C.  My dose was SO low that the labor and delivery ended up feeling the same as my natural birth experience.

~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • Options
    I had a birth plan. I ended up switching OBs at 31w due to a variety of issues, and the OB and nurses at the hospital I switched to were wonderful about discussing our preferences with us, honoring all the ones possible (which turned out to be almost all of them, etc.). I did end up having an induction and had an epidural put in at about 8 cm but the epi turned out to be a good thing in my case b/c Baby B flipped during labor and had to be delivered by breech extraction.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you ladies, what wonderful information.

Have a wonderful Halloween weekend with your little ones!

• Options
    Just wanted to let you know I had a birth plan...most of it kinda went out the window when I ended up with a c-section.  Which I was ok with.  The thing I wasn't ok with it that the girls ended up in the NICU and no one gave them a copy of the birth plan.  I was PISSED!  They ended up giving them pacifiers right away...which I didn't want.  And they gave them the eye ointment right away...which I wanted to delay a few hours until I got to see them.  So if you do make a birth plan...be flexible with it AND make sure it gets to everyone!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had an epidural placed long before I needed it due to low platelets (they really didn't want to give me one due to risk of bleeding, but decided to place one before my platelets dropped anymore)  They tested it out with a low dose and then "capped it"  They were able to quickly use it for my c-section when it was needed.  My experience is rare, but it may be possible for them to put one in and not really use it...
  • Options
    Btw if you PM me your email address, I would be happy to email you my birth plan if you're interested, to get ideas. I know I had a hard time finding ones designed for twins.
  • Options

I'm going in with idea of how I'd like this to go and then trying to be flexible about things not going the way I want.  I figure it never hurts to visualize and pass on my preferences. 

For instance, I don't want an epi at all, if it can be avoided.  I'd rather risk having to be knocked out with a general for an emergency C than have an epi placed and not used (b/c they have to use some drugs to see if it's working.)  I've talked to my providers about this and they're fine with it. 

What I'm having a hard time with is accepting that twins make the whole thing more complicated and I need to go with the flow.

PP, can I PM you my e-mail too? I'd love a copy of a twin birth plan.  

• Options
    imageschoolsoutbride:

PP, can I PM you my e-mail too? I'd love a copy of a twin birth plan.  

Sure thing! I think I have two versions--one where I was hoping for a more natural birth and then a revised version once I realized I was definitely being induced. Would you like both or just the former?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"