Illinois Babies

Baby #2 and off to the burbs?

We are living in Wicker Park and busting at the seams- plus the DH's commute to Lisle is killing him- and any chance of him getting home in time to help me!  We are east coasters and just don't know much about the burbs but have narrowed it down to these...

Can anyone give me any info on life (downtown, community life, schools, anything!) in

-Naperville

-Wheaton

-Downers Grove

- Glen Ellyn

Re: Baby #2 and off to the burbs?

• All of them are good choices with good downtowns and schools.  I grew up in Naperville so I'm a little biased.  I think it has the largest and most happening downtown which also means it's the most traffic laden.  Wheaton has always seemed a little stuffy to me. 
  • We're in Downers and love it.  The schools are very good, there are 3 Metra stations, and it's close to several highways.  It has a cute downtown and does throw little fests throughout the year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I grew up (and my parents still live) in Downers Grove - it is a really nice town.  I would say either there or Naperville are your best bets.  Naperville definitely has more going on downtown which can be both good and bad ; )  And Naper is prob more expensive, but either is a good choice, and within 15 min of each other anyways.
  • -Naperville:

You are going to get great options for activities with the children throughout the day that are free or through the park district at a minimum fee.

Downtown is great!  There are many small boutiques along with your staple stores for home goods and clothing.

You are steps away from all essentials, such as grocery stores, salons and a great hospital.

Naperville also has award winning schools.

You are going to pay high taxes and premium for land in a great subdivision and a great location but a good realtor can help you ease the burden!

Wheaton:

Majority of things to do include: cosley zoo and most paid services through the park district, my gym, monkey bizness, kidstown, etc.  The indoor playrooms are great in the winter/rainy days.

The downtown area is cute and quaint, however most things are south of the downtown area in wheaton town square.

The atmosphere I always perceived from wheaton is a little more stuffy than the naperville atmosphere as far as friendly moms, playgroups etc.

Downers Grove and Glen Ellyn I am not familiar with.

We live in Lisle and love the area, just not our apartment community.  We are moving back to the city to be close to family and friends.  However if your DH has a super long commute then I would consider the surrounding areas.  Warrenville is a nice area that is near a lot as well.

Hope that helps.

• We just moved from Lakeview to the burbs and we looked at all of those suburbs. I can tell you what i found (my opinion only). I used to live in Naperville before moving to the city and for me, there is too much traffic and the downtown is too much like a mini "city" - congested, traffic, etc. Plus, if you need access to the train - the lots are small and expensive near downtown. If you want the big city restaurants nearby, etc, then Naperville might be for you.

Downers Grove was a great option, they have a really cute downtown but that's all I know about DG.

We chose Wheaton. Schools are fantastic and I love that it feels like a small town - everyone is super friendly and the downtown is small and quaint, plus, the lots are big and you can get more for your money then in Naperville. I also love that it seems centrally located via 355. Plus, anything I need/want I can find nearby on Roosevelt, Army Trail Rd or North Ave. They have a Gymboree on Roosevelt and shopping at Town Square. Oak Brook mall is only about 20 min away. We love it.

Glen Ellyn is also great but a tad more expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"