South Florida Babies

West Boca ... comments please

I was wondering about people's experiences here. 

Staff, room (private or roommate), labor and delivery, etc... 

I've never been there, and don't know anyone that has.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: West Boca ... comments please

• I delivered my son there and had a pretty good experience.  The staff was friendly and attentive. I did end up with a roomate my last night there, but apparently there was some sort of baby boom that week and it was the first time they had to double up patients in awhile. Otherwise your DH is able to use the second bed in the room and stay over if that's what you want.

The few things I wasn't crazy about were the cleanliness of the rooms (I felt like they should have been sparkling clean being that is is a hospital and all and they weren't), they only keep the babies in the nursery if there is a problem which is tough if you are recovering from a rough delivery or a c-section (like I was) and really need some rest, and they have an open door visitation policy, I did not enjoy getting visitors all day long and not being able to sleep or eat in peace.

• That is one thing that bothers me.  If they can have visitors at all hours, like it seems most maternity wards allow, and you have a roommate, you're stuck with their friends/fam all day and night. 

I never had that with my oldest two.  They had private rooms only.  I don't want to deal with that.  

Ugh.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageEmjayTheHunted:

That is one thing that bothers me.  If they can have visitors at all hours, like it seems most maternity wards allow, and you have a roommate, you're stuck with their friends/fam all day and night. 

I never had that with my oldest two.  They had private rooms only.  I don't want to deal with that.  

Ugh.  

I gave birth at W Boca.  They do have private rooms.  I had to pay $250 per night.  We did and I wish we hadn't.  It was very slow at the time.  The "bed" for your spouse is very uncomfortable.  I wish we had the other room so my husband would have gotten better sleep when he was sleeping. 

As for visiting hours, if you are sharing a room, I believe guests are not allowed after 8pm including your spouse.  Your spouse is not allowed to stay and that was why we opted for the private room.  I didn't want to risk my husband not being allowed to stay.

I think another negative at W Boca is the lack of lactation support.  I was told that if I had issues w breastfeeding, a consultant would have to be called and it would cost $75 or something like that.  I think Boca Hospital out east is much more friendly from what I've heard.  All their rooms are private too but you share a bathroom.

• I am delivering at West Boca. My doctor only delivers there and Shes the best so I wasn't about to switch doctors. I've heard it's very rare to end up sharing a room there though. Also since you are having a c-section you can reserve the private room ahead of time. In regards to the breastfeeding- in the last month or so they got a full time lactation consultant on staff. In no longer costs to see her while you are at the hospital. She teaches the breastfeeding class there and she was great.
  • I apologize for this response being so long!  

I delivered at West Boca last year the weekend after Thanksgiving. It was probably one of the busiest weekends of the year to deliver and I was even told this at the hospital tour. Ultimately, I felt the $500 ($250/night) for a private room was going to better spent on Christmas presents, so I decided to take my chances.

I did end up with a roommate the first night of my postpartum stay. Luckily, she was very easy going with very few visitors. I was so exhausted from my 26 hour labor though and probably could have slept through a hurricane.

The nursery highly recommended they care for my daughter that night since I was so tired and my husband wasnt staying with me. When I woke up in the middle of the night pretty refreshed and wanting some one on one time with my LO, the nurses brought her right back to me. 

The following morning, my roommate left and my husband was able to stay in the room with me in the other bed. He was even able to order meals. This was really nice because the room was very spacious and comfortable with all the curtains open no roommates. 

I agree with the other poster who mentioned the private room sofa beds for the husbands are very uncomfortable and not really ideal. My husband slept on one of these in our labor and delivery room and it was almost impossible for him to get any rest.  

Overall, my experience was pretty good, but not good enough to say I would definitely return. If I were to have another baby, I would check out some additional options (Holy Cross is just a few blocks from me) to compare before deciding. 

One great experience I did have there was with the anesthesiologist, who was incredible and kept me pain free through my long labor. 

Hope this helps!  

• imagebisabelm:
    Also since you are having a c-section you can reserve the private room ahead of time.

I HOPE I'm not having a c-section.  It's possible, but they haven't mentioned it yet.  I don't have the money to spend 250 a night though for a private room.  

:-( That's a whole lot of diapers and wipes, etc... 

• imagebisabelm:
    I am delivering at West Boca. My doctor only delivers there and Shes the best so I wasn't about to switch doctors. I've heard it's very rare to end up sharing a room there though. Also since you are having a c-section you can reserve the private room ahead of time. In regards to the breastfeeding- in the last month or so they got a full time lactation consultant on staff. In no longer costs to see her while you are at the hospital. She teaches the breastfeeding class there and she was great.

good to know about the lactation consultant!  do you know her name?  I'm wondering if it's the same person I dealt with through the hospital last year.

• wow, I think sharing a room post partum is horrible. I delivered all my three at Boca COmmunity and never had to share a room even when they were super busy (which they were my last time there).

Alot of my friends have given birth at West Boca though and I have never witnessed any of them having to share a room but you never know.

West Boca is known to not be very breastfeeding friendly so make sure, if it's your choice to breastfeed, to let them no and tell them not to give your child formula.

• My doctor delivers out of West Boca and Boca General...I might see how Boca General is because West Boca one kinda scares me now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They have private rooms ( princess suites) you can pay extra for, but they have to be vacant the day you go in to book them.  I had a terrible experience there with the nursing staff.  The room was nice, but I will never go there again.  I had an undiagnosed pulmonary embolism that they kept telling me was gas.  I caution against going there.  The staff was not good at all for me.  My daughter was well taken care of when in the nursery though.  Her care was fine.

ETA:  You can not book those private rooms ahead of time anymore regardless if you know when you will be there.  You have to do it when you walk in for your csection.  They changed the policy.

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • imageANJ410:

I delivered my son there and had a pretty good experience.  The staff was friendly and attentive. I did end up with a roomate my last night there, but apparently there was some sort of baby boom that week and it was the first time they had to double up patients in awhile. Otherwise your DH is able to use the second bed in the room and stay over if that's what you want.

The few things I wasn't crazy about were the cleanliness of the rooms (I felt like they should have been sparkling clean being that is is a hospital and all and they weren't), they only keep the babies in the nursery if there is a problem which is tough if you are recovering from a rough delivery or a c-section (like I was) and really need some rest, and they have an open door visitation policy, I did not enjoy getting visitors all day long and not being able to sleep or eat in peace.

That is news to me...my daughter was in the nursery every night no problem, and whenever I wanted her to go in there.  That is interesting.  Is that new since 2009?  I am not going back there ever again because of the experience I had but I am curious if the nursery changed.
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"