Boston Babies

MGH Midwives?

I was born at Brigham and my Mom and DH are convinced it is the only Boston hospital where anyone should ever have a baby.  However, I like - in theory - the midwife program at MGH. Can anyone speak to the program? Need some ammunition to argue my case :)

I'm young and no complications so I don't see any reason for an OB.

Re: MGH Midwives?

• I don't have any experience with MGH or Brigham, but if you are thinking of looking into a midwive, I really recommend exploring those options now. It wasn't until I was 35 weeks along and I realized I was not comfortable with my OB. MGH is a great hospital and I'm sure you can find information about rankings etc online somewhere.

I recommend watching The Business of Being Born and reading the books A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth and Your Best Birth.  For a low-risk pregnancy like yours, midwives will statistically allow for fewer interventions, which is overall safer.

Best of luck.

• I delivered at MGH with a midwife. I can not say enough good things about them. It was an amazing experience. I dont think anyone could go wrong using them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't use a midwife, but I did deliver at MGH and I loved it. They were wonderful. My daughter was born w/ IUGR (growth restriction) that was unknown until the day I delivered. They had a "team" of pedi's in the delivery room so she was fully care for when she was delivered (emergency c).  The communication was great, which helped w/ processing what was going on.  My ob gyn was wonderful, though she's on leave right now. I'm seeing a new one and i like her a lot too.  I had severe pre e and they were very accomodating and great at communicating. The nurses (w/ the exception of a few bad night nurses) were great. Wonderful at teaching and helping my husband and I handle our little lady.

Good luck. I've heard brigham's is great, but I've had a few friends who have delivered there and they said that they did not receive great care. Had to ask RN's multiple times for pain meds, etc. In one particular case the nurse came in and apologized but said that the floor was was packed and they were under staffed. Now, again, I've heard great things about brigham's, but also some not so great things.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"