Georgia Babies

Carseat ?

I was in a car accident last week. Just side swiped, no straight on impact. Do I need to get a new carseat? It was my fault so I don't know if it's something my insurance would pay for.
Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Carseat ?

• I think your insurance may pay for it.  DH got into an accident with my car and it was side-swiped as well.  At the time, I had no idea that you were supposed to replace the car seat after an accident. So we did not replace it.  Now I wish that I had done it.  Lucky for us it was a minor accident and the car was hit where the infact seat base was--not the marathon.

I would call and talk to your agent and see if this is something they would cover.

• I'd see if they cover it. If they don't, then it's a judgement call. For me it would depend on mph of the incident, damage to the vehicle, if she was in the seat at the time, and where the seat was in relation to the impact.

I would give you a different answer for a "we were going 10 mph and they clipped my mirror" vs "we were going 70 on the interstate and there is a dent in my door", KWIM?

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Loading the player...
  • Was anyone hurt?  Even minor?  If so then it legally is suppose to be replaced from what I experienced.
  • No one was hurt. We were going about 35-45 mph and the damage (a good size dent) is on the front on the drivers side. She sits behind the drivers seat, but obviously in the back. No damage where she was sitting.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I think the rule is that if you are able to drive away from the crash you do not need to replace it.  Having said that I was re ended on 285 and Ava was not in the car.  I had a good bit of back end damage but was able to drive away from the crash.  Geico (the guy's insurance who hit me) insisted on replacing my seat.   The adjuster said that you should always replace a car seat after an accident if it is faster than 5 mph (this is not what NTSB says). 

I would recommend telling your adjuster.  They should have you buy the seat and then reimburse you for it.  

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I would replace it if I had gotten in a crash
  • I would talk to your agent to see if its covered.  I probably would go ahead and replace it.
  • That's a moderate crash and there was definitely strain on the straps if she was in it. Replace.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • imageMrs.Guz:
    No one was hurt. We were going about 35-45 mph and the damage (a good size dent) is on the front on the drivers side. She sits behind the drivers seat, but obviously in the back. No damage where she was sitting.

Based on the details of the accident I would replace it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"