Multiples

QOTD:Singletons and Multiples

Good Morning Ladies!   I thought I'd get this out there today while my pumpkins are still snoozing away.  Hope you all have a great Friday!

QOTD: Do you have a singleton (either older or younger)?  How are they affected (if at all) by the multiples?

I only have the twins, but I often wonder how having a singleton would affect that child and the twins.  Not to say that I want any more though, I think we're done.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
The Bump MoM Recipe Collection

Re: QOTD:Singletons and Multiples

• I have a 3 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds.  My daughter is super excited. She constanlty asks me when they are coming out and will talk to my belly.  I think she is going to be my little helper.  But I think she already likes Gia better. lol! She always says, I will feed Gia and rock her and play with her.  When I ask her what about Lily, she tells me I can take care of her. 

I think my son is going to have a tougher time adjusting.  He is more of a clingy, wants all my attention kind of kid. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I have a 3 y.o DS.  He's definitely shown some major jealousy.  Can't say I blame him, he was used to getting 100% attention. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a 2 yo DD.   She loves her sisters and always asks to "hold it" and I have to worry more about her smothering them with kisses instead of throwing toys at them.   She is most affected by their crying fits.   Dinnertime is brutal and she just zones out.   She acts out a lot, but I think she would be doing that just because she's 2.
  • I have a 2.5yo DD, and she's far surpassed my expectations.  It was a little rough when the twins first came home because I wasn't recovered enough from my c-section to have 1 on 1 time with her.  I made a conscious effort, and that seems to have worked really well in terms of her tantrums and melt downs.

I can see the problems with learning how to share starting, now that the twins are grabby for things.  She loves to hold them, though, and I have a great picture of her sitting in the kitchen on her stool reading to them in their swings (totally unprompted).  She sings to them when they're unhappy, and tries to translate their cries for me (as in "Mama, S is unhappy because he's hungry!").

It's funny in reverse, too.  They recognize her, and they smile at her all the time.  When DD1 does throw a fit, DD2 will sympathy scream with her.  It's hysterical, really.  Earsplitting at times, but hysterical.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't yet, but we're considering ttc again in a year or so. We'd love to have a singleton next so we can experience both (and because we can't afford FOUR kids ;)).
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I hav ea 3.5 DD and she is having a really hard time with the boys. :( She loves them but HATES that My attention is taken from.  She is acting out and regressing but we are trying to make strides to help her.  Having DD is the hardest part of the triplets, i feel so guilty for changing her world so drastically but i am hoping as they all get older they will be great friends..oh and that maybe one night i cna actually sleep through the night...ha ha! :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Nope, these 2 are my first (and second)! Well, except for my furbabies :P
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a 22 month old singleton and 11 week old twins.  There are days when it is so much fun I want to cartwheel through my living room and then there are days that I want to run away to a deserted island with my husband and come back in a few months.  

My DS struggled majorly when we first brought the twins home.  I thought I did everything under the sun to make this easier for him.  BIG FAT MOMMY FAIL.  He was throwing temper tantrums like no other, the screaming was literally out.of.control.  He was hitting the babies and pulling on their limbs.  Acting out - playing in our blinds, throwing his food on the floor, running from me/dh, knocking things over.  We started to ignore but reassure and use time-out when needed.  Things have turned around almost 100%, now I am working on him not smothering the babies.  There is no lack of kisses and hugs from big brother. 

• I also only have the boys. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a singleton mixed into the bunch, but I am pretty sure we are done. 
  • I have a 2.5 year old DS. The arrival of our twins has been really hard on him. He's been acting up at home, crying when he's dropped off at pre-school(never did that before), having trouble going to sleep, and waking at night again ( he hadn't done that in months). It's been really, really hard. I spend my days hovering over the girls because he's constantly trying to hit and pinch them. It's awful and I'm at the end of my rope. I'm praying it'll get better soon. It can't be any worse.
  • My DD just turned 3 last week and she has done surprisingly well adjusting to the twins. She truly loves them, she loves helping out and holding them and she is a wonderful big sister. With that said there are times where i can see some Jealousy. She has a hard time sharing her daddy with the twins and sometimes I can't play with her when she wants because I am feeding babies. All in all the transition has been easier than I expected.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My older son is 4.  The twins aren't here yet, but so far he's the most unaffected by the news of twins.  I think he just assumes babies come in twos.  Everyone goes gaga over it.  He thinks it's normal.
  • My twins were 2 when #3 was born.  They were excited and didn't show any jealousy at all.  I think they were too young to grasp the reality of it and I also think they were unaffected because they never had my full attention like a first born singleton would.  They were used to "sharing" me and DH.  Adding one more into the mix didn't phase them.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• my twins will be 2 on monday and my baby is 11 months old! Honestly since they were just a year old when Brady was born it didn't seem to phase them in the least. We might be adding to the family in the next year or so, we will see how that works out
  • People tell me all the time that they don't know how I do it with twins.  Forget that, I don't know how people with twins AND a toddler do it!  I have so much respect for being able to juggle it all.  You ladies are rockstars.
  • We have two older singleton boys (ages 4 and 2).  I'm glad the boys have each other to keep company and play with.  They love their "sissies" and love to play with them and hug and kiss them : ) 

The only thing that bothers me sometimes is when we go out and people "ooh" and "aah" over the twins and don't even notice our boys.  Our oldest gets right in their face and says "And I'm Sam!"  Gotta love the blunt language of 4-year-olds ; )

Although... sometimes when we go out people will look at the girls, then look at the boys and ask if they're twins too!  People are so goofy!

~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • DS was 15 mths when the girls were born and he isn't affected at all by them. He loves them up and always kisses them and wants to hold them. He even tries to share his toys with the girls. He doesn't really mind them too much since he's so little...he goes about his business as usual and stops occasionally to rock them in the swing or give a  kiss or two.
  • Remarkably well so far actually. DD is now 23 months and I was kind of worried, but so far it has been awesome. She loves to help and becomes really concerned for them. When one of them starts crying she asks me "bottle"? She gets upset if we don't take them with us every where and gives them both kisses before she goes to bed.

I am sure it will get harder as time goes on, but I think she has just been too young to get really jealous. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • The twins are our first but I won't rule out another baby in the future.  I'm looking down the long road though and since I'm fairly young I'm looking to wait until the twins are in school, although that may change!
  • I do not have a singleton; my twins were my first pregnancy. But my husband and I are planning on trying to get pregnant again, so fingers crossed there will be one in our future. I can't wait, even right now. I adore the prospect of my boys being big brothers.
  • Emerson has never been ugly toward the babies.   She is always kissing them and patting them (a little rough sometimes).  She took her aggression out on me.  Specifically, she started hitting me.  The first two weeks I felt so badly for her and let her call the shots.  Then, I had to grow a back bone again and start timeouts.

My guilty feelings about not being able to give her the attention I once did upsets me more than anything else at this point.

• I sometimes have guilt about having to divide my time.  I try to remember, though, that I have given DD1 a great gift by giving her siblings. 

When I'm dead and gone, she will have them to understand her history.  She'll also have them to gripe about me with!  To me, the long term benefits of the gift of siblings helps keep the guilt at bay.

• we have a 2 y.o. daugther and then the twins.  she gets jealous every now and then, but for the most part she tries to be a mom to them.  she loves to help with them and play with them.  unfortunately she does not always understand that sometimes she is too rough with them.  i think thought since she was a girl and they are boys it has keep a lot of jealousy at bay and we allow her to stay up a least an hour later to have just mommy and daddy time.  now it may change some as they become more mobile and get more into her things and become olders. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My 3 singletons are older...they will be almost 13, 11 & almost 8 when these babies are born. My oldest two are pretty excited~ but I expect the novelty to wear off about day 4! I think my youngest is about to have his world ROCKED~ he's had 7 and a half years of being the baby and now will have a sudden swift to "Maguire in the Middle"~ I am expecting him to torture us!  So far his interest has been tempid~ he wants to hear their heartbeats every now and again if he knows I am getting the doppler out and he was semi intertested in the ultrasound photos, and he has officially made the claim that "They are my own personal slaves and I will not let anyone else use them!" ~ Yeah~ did I say this could get interesting????
    Mom of Riley-13, Libby Jaye-11, Maguire-8, Callum & Maggie-7mo Photobucket
  • imageMrsMommyLo:

There are days when it is so much fun I want to cartwheel through my living room and then there are days that I want to run away to a deserted island with my husband and come back in a few months.  

This is SO TRUE. DS1 was 26 months when the twins were born. In the beginning there were the expected issues of him acting out and vying for our attention, and we definitely had some REALLY difficult days and times when all three of them were crying (and therefore sometimes me too). I definitely struggled with some guilt, but I really tried to remember that the difficult days wouldn't last forever and that DS1 wouldn't hate me later in life because I had two more children.  

Now that the twins are 10 months old and DS1 just turned three last week, things have gotten SO MUCH EASIER. Really. He loves seeing them first thing in the morning and loves it when they wake up from their nap because he wants to play with them.  He was the first person that they both really laughed at, and they're fascinated by him. We do have issues with sharing toys, but overall, now that we've gotten through the really hard part, I love it.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Not sure yet how it will go, will find out in a couple months :)

I think having the triplets first will help with a lot of the jealousy and feeling like they aren't getting all of my attention. They have had to share me since day one, so hopefully they will not mind sharing with their baby brother too.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • imageAlishaMay:

QOTD: Do you have a singleton (either older or younger)?  How are they affected (if at all) by the multiples? 

My son might be much too young to realize what is really going on.  He *seems* to care for them and so far I have not seen any jealousy, although I am seeing him becoming more of a "baby" sometimes.  He likes to cover the twins with their blankie and when their paci falls out, he likes to *attempt* to put it back in their mouths and he also likes to "poke" (touch) them with his finger.  Like I said, he *seems* to care, we'll see when they're all older and stealing each others toys!  hahaha

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • These are our firsts. We are planning to have one more just to try for a boy for DH. I do have experience though being the new kid to twins. My older brother and sister are twins and then my parents had me. I think it would be easier this way than having a singleton first, but both have there pros and cons. We never really affected by it, I was jealous when they went to prom, graduated and on birthdays. That was pretty much it, The rest of the time it was like having 2 older siblings. My parents were good about including me as a special helper on birthday days so that really was not a big deal. Plus when I got older I realized my birthday was all about me and I was excited I didnt have to share with anyone.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageougrad1:

My guilty feelings about not being able to give her the attention I once did upsets me more than anything else at this point.

I definitely feel the same way ...

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"