Natural Birth

Worried about losing control?

Hi gals, so my main concern in this whole pregnancy is having the birth that I want if possible. What I am worried about is that my hospital will pump me full of stuff even if I say no, or will simply not listen to what I want! (It's Tripler, the military hospital on Oahu, the ONLY military hospital on the island!) Everytime I have been there it is SOO crowded and understaffed, and it is obvious they dont really care about the individual all that much. Any ideas on how to get my way or prevent unnecessary drugs being given to me? (We cant afford to go anywhere else, this is the only place that insurance will cover)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Worried about losing control?

• Can you get a doula that has navigated that hospital before?  That would be my first step.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagechicsub:
    Can you get a doula that has navigated that hospital before?  That would be my first step.

They do have a midwife program there, but there are only about 4-5 midwives, so the chance of mine actaully being there for the delivery are very slim. No outside midwives are aloud since they have their program. (or so I was told) I will be taking a tour of the delivery area next month, and will ask more indepth questions of them then, but am not sure what things to even ask about. Bleh... :)  

• Loading the player...
  • Find out what Midwife/Ob practice takes Tricare and switch to Standard. You'll find that nearly 100% of all care is covered and you have little to no out of pocket/copays. I just had DD at an out of network hospital with out of network midwives and I paid a total of $92 for some lab tests and $25 for the birth. Do your research and you might find the same.

Start by calling Tricare and asking how much OB care and birth is covered by Standard and what your copay is. Also consider that Tricares catastrophic cap on Standard is only $1k so that's the most you could spend in one year for all your healthcare. I believe they cover 100% of all OB care regardless of if they are network or not. Double check that though!!
  • imageflying.pier:

imagechicsub:
    Can you get a doula that has navigated that hospital before?  That would be my first step.

They do have a midwife program there, but there are only about 4-5 midwives, so the chance of mine actaully being there for the delivery are very slim. No outside midwives are aloud since they have their program. (or so I was told) I will be taking a tour of the delivery area next month, and will ask more indepth questions of them then, but am not sure what things to even ask about. Bleh... :)  

A doula is not a midwife. They do not do medical things. A doula is just a woman who knows a lot about childbirth and can help you understand what the doctors are saying so you can make informed decisions. They also help with comfort measures.  Check into doulas at www.dona.org.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• With DD I was lucky and had a nurse that was very pro natural birth so it was very easy to stick to my birth plan.  With my first delivery with my DS, the hospital was good but the nurses were asking if I wanted pain meds very early on and I gave in and got the epi and ended up with a c-section. They would scare me and warn me how it will get SO much more painful in a few hours... Loads of support huh?

This time around I made sure to get my DH on my side 100% about the VBAC and no pain meds so if I felt the urge to ask for meds he would be my rock.  I got back labor again and it was painful but he was great and did the work of a doula essentially and did the massage and pressure pushing on my back and hips.   If you can't find a doula then teach DH :)  Also be strong and when you go into the hospital there is nothing wrong with asking them to assign you a nurse that is the most pro-natural that they have.  When I told my OB my birth plan in triage they gave me a nurse that was the most supportive.

Last advice I give, LABOR AT HOME AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!  Trust me, it's scary, especially the first time.  Thoughts of "omg what if I deliver in the car, ect.." but honestly, almost all of us make it to the hospital in time and once you are there you will wish you stayed home longer so you could relax and be comfortable :) If you are not there then you can't be convinced to have meds :)

• I was also going to say labor at home as long as possible.  I think if you are not progressing as fast as they would like you to is when they start trying to push the pitocin.  Never give them the idea that you are losing control.
  • I would stay home and labor there as long as possible. Also, you need to just remember that you are the patient, it is your body and your baby and you have the right to discuss every step with the docs and make a decision.

I would begin with a birth plan that generally states your wishes for a natural, med-free birth. I'd make sure your whole labor team is aware of your wishes. And then as you progress, just remember to ask questions. E.g. "We need to do X" then you say "Is this an emergency or can we discuss the options first?" Etc. If it's an emergency, obviously let them do what is necessary, but if it's not then engage them in conversation so you can make a decision.

Good luck!

• imageArmyQM:
    Find out what Midwife/Ob practice takes Tricare and switch to Standard. You'll find that nearly 100% of all care is covered and you have little to no out of pocket/copays. I just had DD at an out of network hospital with out of network midwives and I paid a total of $92 for some lab tests and $25 for the birth. Do your research and you might find the same.

Start by calling Tricare and asking how much OB care and birth is covered by Standard and what your copay is. Also consider that Tricares catastrophic cap on Standard is only $1k so that's the most you could spend in one year for all your healthcare. I believe they cover 100% of all OB care regardless of if they are network or not. Double check that though!!

Thanki you very much! I didnt realize that this was possible by switching to Standard! (I'm new to all the Tricare stuff, just married a few months ago) I will call and check, and keep my fingers crossed! :)

• Thank you all! I do plan on staying home as long as possible for sure! :) I told DH this and I thought he was going to have a heartattack! Haha! He is deff standing up for me too on all of this, he said that if he sees a needle coming at me and I'm out of it/dont want it he will get between me and the needle, so that calms me a bit! :)
  • imageflying.pier:

imageArmyQM:
    Find out what Midwife/Ob practice takes Tricare and switch to Standard. You'll find that nearly 100% of all care is covered and you have little to no out of pocket/copays. I just had DD at an out of network hospital with out of network midwives and I paid a total of $92 for some lab tests and $25 for the birth. Do your research and you might find the same.

Thanki you very much! I didnt realize that this was possible by switching to Standard! (I'm new to all the Tricare stuff, just married a few months ago) I will call and check, and keep my fingers crossed! :)

A lot of people don't know about Tricare's coverages even after having it for years. Just be sure to call and ask. If you get a representative that isn't helpful or doesn't seem to know just ask to see someone else or call the hotline instead of going in to your service center. Keep in mind though, that once you switch to standard you can't switch back to Prime for one full calendar year. So after you give birth you'll have to find yourself a regular doctor as well for your routine or acute care. Then you'll run into having to pay co-pays and cost shares. For example, I am getting ready to get an IUD and I will have to pay 20% plus my $150 deductible. Again though, once I hit $1k collectively I won't pay anything for the remainder of the year. Make sure they explain all those kinds of things to you. I got a really unhelpful rep who tried to talk me out of standard but don't let that happen to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"